Mixing substrate

bobbym2289

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 11, 2020
Messages
30
Reaction score
6
Location
colorado springs
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m new to the hobby and have picked things up here and there from different people and ended up getting 3 unopened bags of live sand and a bucket full of old reef sand roughly the same consistency. I was wondering since they’re about the same size if it would be ok to mix them for a little bit thicker of a bed. It’s a 125 gallon tank and the unopened sand is 90lbs worth, do you think that would be enough? I’d like a 1.5” bed which is the reason I would mix them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
 
Once rinsed and cleaned you should have no issues with mixing the sand. I’ve done this multiple times with no effects whatsoever.
 
That’s good to hear! I’ve rinsed it several times and definitely got a lot of dirt out
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 41 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new