Mixing Water and Alcohol

Rabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering about the NoPox recipe of mixing vinegar, vodka and water in the ratio of 2:1:1.

Doesn't the alcohol's molecules make hydrogen bonds with the water molecules making it so you cannot distinguish between the alcohol and the water anymore?

If so, what effect would this have on 'dosing VVW'?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering about the NoPox recipe of mixing vinegar, vodka and water in the ratio of 2:1:1.

Doesn't the alcohol's molecules make hydrogen bonds with the water molecules making it so you cannot distinguish between the alcohol and the water anymore?

The hydrogen bonds between water and alcohol are very weak and are continuously breaking and reforming. It doesn't have any impact on dosing VVW since we are interested in the carbon and it doesn't get locked up due to these bonds.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A hydrogen bond is like a friendship. There is an attraction but you can still distinguish the individuals in the friendship. Also like a friendship, the two individuals can be physically separated and form other friendships. The nice thing about water is that it can make friends with ethanol AND vinegar. It is so tolerant about differences as to be apolitical.

OP
OP
Rabe

Rabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Another question if I can. Since there is this nice friendship between all the players here, should each part be introduced to one another in a particular order? For example: Starting with 2 parts of vinegar, add one part alcohol and then add one part water to make a solute to dose into my aquarium.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Another question if I can. Since there is this nice friendship between all the players here, should each part be introduced to one another in a particular order? For example: Starting with 2 parts of vinegar, add one part alcohol and then add one part water to make a solute to dose into my aquarium.
I can't think of any reason to.

Back