Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
edit: looking to add any combination of these (2+) to my 50 gal mixed reef

- pink streak wrasse
- yellow coris wrasse
- Melanarus wrasse
- leopard wrasse

Looking to see if I can mix Pseudocheilinops ataenia (pink streak wrasse) and a Halichoeres chrysus (yellow coris wrasse) together in a 50gal?

What about a halichores malanurus (Melanarus wrasse) instead of the yellow coris?

Other stocking at the moment is 2 clowns, long nose hawk, and a royal gramma

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tons of info here

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tons of info here

Okay thank you! I skimmed it briefly (at work) and I noticed he mentioned “In fact, Pseudocheilinus wrasses should be outright avoided if you desire multiple wrasses at all”

So that would include the pink streak wrasse right? Always thought pink streak were very docile so I could mix them with others

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you! I skimmed it briefly (at work) and I noticed he mentioned “In fact, Pseudocheilinus wrasses should be outright avoided if you desire multiple wrasses at all”

So that would include the pink streak wrasse right? Always thought pink streak were very docile so I could mix them with others
The pink streaked wrasse is the only species in genus Pseudocheilinops. They are docile and can mix with other wrasses it would be fine with a H. chrysus.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m going to go out and say this isn’t actually true for what you wanted. Pseudpcheilinus and Pseudocheilinops are two separate genera. I believe they’re closely related however the pseudocheilinus genus is a genus we recommend avoiding unless it’s the only wrasse. Pseudocheilinus are the “Lined” Wrasses and has I believe 7 known species. Pseudocheilinops are the “cryptic” or “pink streaked” Wrasses and there is only one known species.

Pseudocheilinops ataenia can be mixed with other wrasses that are peaceful. If you desire the more aggressive wrasses such as Melanurus it may not be a great move. I have had my Pseudocheilinops ataenia(s) in with a Blue Star Leopard for around a month now - if not 2. I also had my first Pseudocheilinops ataenia with my Naoko’s Fairy Wrasse and the Blue Star Leopard. Here’s a photo of my first one, I’m now on my 3rd, 4th and 5th.
A9BFD9DA-91A1-4D30-8ABC-A40BE6EEBE3E.jpeg

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great!
I’m going to go out and say this isn’t actually true for what you wanted. Pseudpcheilinus and Pseudocheilinops are two separate genera. I believe they’re closely related however the pseudocheilinus genus is a genus we recommend avoiding unless it’s the only wrasse. Pseudocheilinops ataenia can be mixed with other wrasses that are peaceful. If you desire the more aggressive wrasses such as Melanurus it may not be a great move. I have had my Pseudocheilinops ataenia(s) in with a Blue Star Leopard for around a month now - if not 2. I also had my first Pseudocheilinops ataenia with my Naoko’s Fairy Wrasse and the Blue Star Leopard. Here’s a photo of my first one, I’m now on my 3rd, 4th and 5th.
A9BFD9DA-91A1-4D30-8ABC-A40BE6EEBE3E.jpeg
Yeah this was a mistake by me - didn’t catch the name differences!

probably going to do the pink streak with a yellow coris to begin with.
Thanks!!

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just bumping this to make sure they’re all okay

Wanted to get
1) Pink Streak (Pseudocheilinops ataenia)
2) yellow coris Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)
3) flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)

any issues with these three and okay to add all at once?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some say that the flashers require a longer tank as they shoot around very quickly. I've never kept one so I'll let others chime in. I have a yellow coris temporarily in my 20 gallon observation tank with my pink streak and there are no issues.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bumping this to make sure they’re all okay

Wanted to get
1) Pink Streak (Pseudocheilinops ataenia)
2) yellow coris Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)
3) flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)

any issues with these three and okay to add all at once?
Paracheilinus species definitely deserve a 4’ tank minimum. This is due to their speed and they love to zip around. The reason we don’t recommend this for Cirrhilabrus is due to the Cirrhilabrus species having some sense of where they’re going when they begin to display. They also don’t swim nearly as fast as a Paracheilinus will in such a short amount of time.
But also, the fact I can get good photos of all my Cirrhilabrus species but fail to get photos as good with my Paracheilinus hybrid says a lot.
As mentioned above by Tcook, Pseudocheilinops antaenia and Halichoeres chrysus should get along. Just be warned that in a larger tank Pseudocheilinops ataenia will be more secretive, especially with more fish around them.
Here’s my old one before he died (I now have a trio - I don’t recommend doing this until you have got more experience with wrasses).
D13081E4-3E1F-4076-B69B-195F118C0A2B.jpeg

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Paracheilinus species definitely deserve a 4’ tank minimum. This is due to their speed and they love to zip around. The reason we don’t recommend this for Cirrhilabrus is due to the Cirrhilabrus species having some sense of where they’re going when they begin to display. They also don’t swim nearly as fast as a Paracheilinus will in such a short amount of time.
But also, the fact I can get good photos of all my Cirrhilabrus species but fail to get photos as good with my Paracheilinus hybrid says a lot.
As mentioned above by Tcook, Pseudocheilinops antaenia and Halichoeres chrysus should get along. Just be warned that in a larger tank Pseudocheilinops ataenia will be more secretive, especially with more fish around them.
Here’s my old one before he died (I now have a trio - I don’t recommend doing this until you have got more experience with wrasses).
D13081E4-3E1F-4076-B69B-195F118C0A2B.jpeg
So maybe instead of a Paracheilinus i should look into a Cirrhilabrus if I want a trio of different Wrasse?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So maybe instead of a Paracheilinus i should look into a Cirrhilabrus if I want a trio of different Wrasse?
Yes, this is a better move long term. Some will go against what I have however I find many of those go off of Paracheilinus’ max size and not their activity. Also, many of those that say a Flasher will do well in a 3’ don’t seem to have experience with them.

Back