OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is usually from point source lighting not getting there anymore or sometimes from debris that has settled for a bit before being blown off. With the reflected T5s, probably not that. As corals grow, colonies are a lot different than frags and mini colonies, so sometimes you need some different flow... not just more, but effective, which is hard to deal with since each tank is different. I see no AEFW bites on there, but they usually are on the bases and undersides if there is any and not on the top.
Funny enough the recession is only on the top of the coral, not on the underside. I already have 2 mp10s in my 20g so sneaking in more flow is going to be difficult. I do have a flame hawkfish that sits and sleeps on the sps all day, do you suspect the fish might be causing unneeded stress to the colonies? Thanks

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at what I found... AEFW? It moved and I was able to blow it off with a pipette. At this point I'm going to tear the tank down and keep soft corals... I don't even think I could sell the corals if they have AEFW

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at what I found... AEFW? It moved and I was able to blow it off with a pipette. At this point I'm going to tear the tank down and keep soft corals... I don't even think I could sell the corals if they have AEFW

Not aefw. You cannot see them on the flesh. That is black bug. You need Interceptor ( or really the underlying medication milbemycin oxime.) Good news is it is an in tank treatment. Bad news it is hard to get a prescription unless you have a dog. It is heartworm medication for dogs. It is all documented here in several threads.

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not aefw. You cannot see them on the flesh. That is black bug. You need Interceptor ( or really the underlying medication milbemycin oxime.) Good news is it is an in tank treatment. Bad news it is hard to get a prescription unless you have a dog. It is heartworm medication for dogs. It is all documented here in several threads.
I had a bug problem previously and used Interceptor to kill them. These seem a bit different, but fortunately I have enough interceptor for 3 treatments. So not AEFW?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bug problem previously and used Interceptor to kill them. These seem a bit different, but fortunately I have enough interceptor for 3 treatments. So not AEFW?
Trying to find some better pics but these are mine. They are nearly transparent. You need a white background so see them clearly. Adults can be 3/8" to a little larger.
IMG-4558.jpg
IMG-4559.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We need more eyes on this, but I am pretty sure it is not AEFW. Google "reef2reef black bugs" you will find hits, videos to find a match. Then tag the people in the posts. This is pretty much the only bug I've NOT had to deal with, so you should chat with people who have.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back