MJSzos' Fluval Evo 13.5 Mixed Reef

mjszos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Relatively new member to the forum, though I've been lurking around since I started the hobby. This tank was started in February '21 as my first foray into saltwater fish keeping. The amount that I've learned from R2R is staggering and has helped me see the success that I have so far! I'll be updating this as time goes on, hopefully with the plan to move to a 50+Gal tank and reallocate the Evo as a QT.

I recently (this past weekend) moved the tank from one side of the room off of my desk to a dedicated stand as I'd been battling a GHA issue that I believe was being compounded by the light. I have black vinyl on the back of the tank to minimize it, but I've been fighting against it. Bit the bullet and hoping this will help! Next steps are to monitor it for the next month or so to make sure my parameters stay consistent. No additional fish are going to be added as I don't want to increase my bioload, but I'll likely pick up some new frags once I'm confident it's a safe environment.

Specs:

Tank: Fluval Evo 13.5
Light: Red Sea 50
Pump: Sicce Micra
Wavemaker: Sicce Voyager Nano
Filter: Sponge w/ Carbon, Chemipure Blue, Biopellets

Livestock:

2x Oscellaris Clowns
1x Six Line Wrasse
1x Cleaner Shrimp
6x Blue Leg Hermits
2x Nassarius Snails
1x Turbo snail

1x Rainbow Ricordia
1x Torch
1x Galaxea (allegedly?)
1x Duncan
1x Hammer
1x Daisy Polyp
1x GSP

Feeding/Dosing Schedule:

I alternate Frozen Mysis and Pellets (PE Pellets) daily. I feed only once per day.
I started spot feeding the corals zooplankton a few weeks ago right about an hour before my water changes.
Dosing SeaChem Reef Fusion 1/2 once a week, but need to track my params more to see if that's enough.
Dosing Vibrant 2x a month @ half dose.

Maintenance:

30% weekly water change
Daily glass scraping
Weekly parameter testing

Thanks for taking a peek! Would love your thoughts.

2021-09-06 10.02.53.jpg 2021-09-06 10.02.58.jpg 2021-09-06 10.08.43.jpg 2021-09-06 10.08.47.jpg 2021-09-06 10.08.51.jpg

OP
OP
mjszos

mjszos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build updates:

I have purchased and installed both of the InTank Media Baskets for Chamber 1 and 2. Filtration is now as follows:

Chamber 1: Floss -> Floss -> Bioballs (arriving today)
Chamber 2: Carbon -> ChemiPure Blue -> Bioballs
Chamber 3: Heater & Pump

I also purchased a few frags yesterday, but in my excitement I actually have no idea what I got.

Attachments

• IMG_0787.JPG
    IMG_0787.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0791.JPG
    IMG_0791.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0792.JPG
    IMG_0792.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0793.JPG
    IMG_0793.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0794.JPG
    IMG_0794.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0795.JPG
    IMG_0795.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
mjszos

mjszos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately had a death yesterday, lost an oscellaris clown and I’m still having trouble wrapping my head around what had happened. Seems like it may go undiagnosed. I started a thread about it in case anybody would like to check it out or has any ideas.

lissailor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30% weekly water changes seem like a lot. Maybe that was a contributing factor on the death?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank! Looking good! Love to see another fluval 13.5!
I do 30% weekly with no problems.
Is it possible the 6 line killed it, those things are nasty.

OP
OP
mjszos

mjszos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size ChemiPure bag do you use?

I actually use the standard 5.5oz ones. It fits perfectly in the media baskets.

30% weekly water changes seem like a lot. Maybe that was a contributing factor on the death?

It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility, but I highly doubt it as it's been my maintenance routine since the tank was cycled. Everything else in the tank has been perfectly happy and healthy before and since.

Great tank! Looking good! Love to see another fluval 13.5!
I do 30% weekly with no problems.
Is it possible the 6 line killed it, those things are nasty.

Thank you! I love this little thing. 30% is definitely a lot don't get me wrong, but it seems to be the sweet spot I've found. Regarding the 6 line, I highly doubt it as there was 0 signs of any physical damage to the little dude. May have just been an unhealthy fish unfortunately. I've been keeping a close eye on everything else in the tank and it's thriving.

Great looking tank!

Thank you!

OP
OP
mjszos

mjszos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's been a little while since I've posted an update, here's where we're at now!

In an effort to combat my GHA problem, I picked up a pincushion urchin which hoovered the heck out of my algae... but since I have commitment issues and haven't glued frags down it's not uncommon for me to find the dude wearing a galaxea frag as a hat (see video evidence below)

I also attended Reefapalooza here in Chicago this past weekend and picked up 10 new frags!! It all happened so fast, but as my first foray into the reefing community events.. I had an absolute blast. I've been realizing that mushrooms and euphyllia are my true loves in the hobby, so that's the direction the tanks going... With that being said, I picked up 6 ricordeas, 2 torches, and 2 hammers. I apologize for the poor quality video below, my next investments will be into filters and lenses for my phone to get better quality video!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back