MM overflow bean animal setting up

jonelder68

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my tank drilled and MM 1200gph overflow installed. I’ve seen multiple drain configurations and maybe I’m just a newbie but why are some bean animals drains configured with U shapes and some just straight pipe?

Secondly out of bulkhead drain can I go straight to a 90? Or is some vertical drop necessary before adding 90? I would ideally like to 90 straight out of bulkheads to go through wall and then drop down to sump in basement.

Third….gate valve location on primary drain does it matter the location? Close to overflow start or could it be towards end of drain in basement at the sump?

IMG_6378.png IMG_6379.png

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it with or without the U=bends. The U-bend can keep it a little quieter if you have a large flow through the secondary, but you generally just want a trickle. Having it open ended skims any top skum/oil layer from the box. I have both of mine open ended without U-bends

I like to have the gate valve on the full siphon down low near the exit of the pipe. If you have it up high and the flow is low, it can trap air below it and become noisy. Also easier to access when lower.

OP
OP
jonelder68

jonelder68

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it with or without the U=bends. The U-bend can keep it a little quieter if you have a large flow through the secondary, but you generally just want a trickle. Having it open ended skims any top skum/oil layer from the box. I have both of mine open ended without U-bends

I like to have the gate valve on the full siphon down low near the exit of the pipe. If you have it up high and the flow is low, it can trap air below it and become noisy. Also easier to access when lower.
What’s your thoughts on a 90 right off the overflow box bulkheads? Bad idea? Some vertical drop needed before going to a 90? Not sure if this would effect flow or not?

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your thoughts on a 90 right off the overflow box bulkheads? Bad idea? Some vertical drop needed before going to a 90? Not sure if this would effect flow or not?
I don't think it would hurt anything hydraulically unless the piping was really undersized. 90's always produce some head loss but where in the system they are placed really does not matter. I would be careful not to create a large bending force on the box with a long unsupported run of horizontal pipe coming off the box which would create stress on the bulkhead and/or the box and the seal. Most people drop straight down and then turn below the tank to get to the sump, but I don't think you have to do it that way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jonelder68

jonelder68

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it would hurt anything hydraulically unless the piping was really undersized. 90's always produce some head loss but where in the system they are placed really does not matter. I would be careful not to create a large bending force on the box with a long unsupported run of horizontal pipe coming off the box which would create stress on the bulkhead and/or the box and the seal. Most people drop straight down and then turn below the tank to get to the sump, but I don't think you have to do it that way.
I’m wanting to 90 right out of bulkhead to go through a wall into basement and then go down into my “sumps”. Wall would offer some support. Trying to find a way to do a wall pass through/bulkhead. I might just actually install bulkheads to pass through the wall.

ygbsmww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a California split so everything is half level differences. Everything is on a downward path/flow. 22.5 degree is the least slopped portion right at the sump.

IMG_6535.jpeg IMG_6539.jpeg IMG_6536.jpeg
Thx. Following your build now. Looking good!

OP
OP
jonelder68

jonelder68

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a California split so everything is half level differences.

Thx. Following your build now. Looking good!
Very slow going lol! Hoping to have it wet and cycling once aquabiomics has inventory back in stock. Between newborn and fedex loosing everything else I've ordered lately it’s hard to make any progress.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back