Modified Herbie Overflow

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to get some thoughts about my idea. I am tired of the durso it is really loud and obnoxious. I have a 120G tank and buying a new tank to fit the bean animal or herbie method is not realistic. The tank I have has two corner overflows with two holes each. I plan on leaving the return (1/2")lines alone. With the other two I wante to make one pipe to be a full siphon and the other as an emergency overflow. For redundancy I plan on setting a float switch in one of the overflows to shut off the return pump in case the emergency overflow gets clogged.
Think this will work? Or will I not have enough drainage with just one pipe?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The float is great idea. Let me know if you need help with float system . I have thread in diy, shows a float I utilize for system. System makes a simulation of tide coming in then out, check it out. System made of one relay, transformer , micro timer n float. Very simple. Good reefing

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your gph through the return pump?

Are the two drain pipes 1"?

A 1" pipe can flow 960gph through gravity on a full siphon. If you allow a quiet trickle through the return I think you can get about 1200gph through the drains and still keep it quiet. But if you exceed the 960 with your return you won't have full redundancy where one drain can handle all of the flow. So a float switch or a couple of optical switches sounds like a good idea in my book.

J&O'sdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing on a 220 gallon tank with 2 overflow boxes. I put standard herbies in each of the overflows and then ran the returns over the back. It worked great.

OP
OP
lilbitreefer

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The float is great idea. Let me know if you need help with float system . I have thread in diy, shows a float I utilize for system. System makes a simulation of tide coming in then out, check it out. System made of one relay, transformer , micro timer n float. Very simple. Good reefing
Do you have a link for that DIY of yours?

OP
OP
lilbitreefer

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your gph through the return pump?

Are the two drain pipes 1"?

A 1" pipe can flow 960gph through gravity on a full siphon. If you allow a quiet trickle through the return I think you can get about 1200gph through the drains and still keep it quiet. But if you exceed the 960 with your return you won't have full redundancy where one drain can handle all of the flow. So a float switch or a couple of optical switches sounds like a good idea in my book.

Return has two 3/4" and two 1" drain pipes.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back