Modifying a 5.5 gallon lid

AquasKy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5.5 gallon acrylic bow front that came with a plastic lid with a built in light. The light is just way too bright for any fish to be in there comfortably so rather than trying to find a different lid, I would like to cut a window into the top of the lid and install a piece of clear acrylic to set a custom light on. I already know that adhering plastic to plexi/acrylic requires specific types of glue, almost like a welding. And I also know I need to use something that is aquarium safe.
I’ve been trying to find something but I apparently suck at it and every time I find a “glue” or “epoxy” for adhering the two materials, none of them seem to be aquarium safe.
Does anyone have any recommendations for what I would use? I’m not in a huge hurry to get it done, but I want to set it up for my niece with a beta and I’d like to get the lid altered before hand. I greatly appreciate any help or advice any of y’all have.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5.5 gallon acrylic bow front that came with a plastic lid with a built in light. The light is just way too bright for any fish to be in there comfortably so rather than trying to find a different lid, I would like to cut a window into the top of the lid and install a piece of clear acrylic to set a custom light on. I already know that adhering plastic to plexi/acrylic requires specific types of glue, almost like a welding. And I also know I need to use something that is aquarium safe.
I’ve been trying to find something but I apparently suck at it and every time I find a “glue” or “epoxy” for adhering the two materials, none of them seem to be aquarium safe.
Does anyone have any recommendations for what I would use? I’m not in a huge hurry to get it done, but I want to set it up for my niece with a beta and I’d like to get the lid altered before hand. I greatly appreciate any help or advice any of y’all have.
Could you post a picture of what you are trying to modify?

OP
OP
AquasKy

AquasKy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew I should have taken a couple pics of the lid before I left my brother’s house. I can definitely post a couple tomorrow when I go back over there, it’s sitting in the box over there until I figure out how to modify it. I’ll reply to you again tomorrow, I’m sorry for that inconvenience.

OP
OP
AquasKy

AquasKy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry I am just now posting these pictures. I also forgot my nephew set the tank up as saltwater and they broke it down not cleaning it properly, I’m going back to clean it tomorrow for sure but excuse the salt residue.
Things just got hectic yesterday and I didn’t even get over to their house until today. So I am really sorry for the delay.
They attempted to bring a hermit crab home from the beach I guess but the thing died before they got the tank ready. I’m dreading scrubbing this tank, they let it sit too long.

Attachments

• 35069C14-C831-4854-973D-D3D769D09E63.jpeg
    35069C14-C831-4854-973D-D3D769D09E63.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 34FDD426-D09E-415D-8DAE-8995BD69DDA0.jpeg
    34FDD426-D09E-415D-8DAE-8995BD69DDA0.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 30

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry I am just now posting these pictures. I also forgot my nephew set the tank up as saltwater and they broke it down not cleaning it properly, I’m going back to clean it tomorrow for sure but excuse the salt residue.
Things just got hectic yesterday and I didn’t even get over to their house until today. So I am really sorry for the delay.
They attempted to bring a hermit crab home from the beach I guess but the thing died before they got the tank ready. I’m dreading scrubbing this tank, they let it sit too long.
Vinegar may help dissolve the dried residue.

And thanks for the pics

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used Super Glue Primer, and Gel Super Glue to Double up on some 1/8” ABS Sheet. It’ll break, before being pulled apart. Also I glued Frag Tiles to what appears to be Black Acrylic, none have let go, including ones done below the waterline. No Primer used for this application.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back