Modifying a Octo reef Protein Skimmer

coraldreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I working really hard at picking the right skimmer for my new build, and I'm kind of stuck In a loop
I really want a recirculating Skimmer so I can avoid the height of the skimmer in the sump affecting air/water mixture.
In addition to that I want them to have DC pumps for two reasons:
#1 - It's in my living room so I'm trying to minimize any noise from the system
#2 - I really like the idea of having the ability to adjust the power output like the Varios and the Neptune DC motors allow.
The reason I need the adjustability is that I am starting with a 90 Gal tank With nothing but rock, the bioload will be nothing at 1st so I figured I can run the skimmer on low maybe even setting #1.
Additionally, if I consider that it will be in the sump directly after the clarisea 5000, there won't be much to skim initially. The build will Eventually be a high bio load tank with mostly SPS and very little lps if any.

Now my question is that the best skimmer that meets this criteria is

Regal 200EXT 8" Recirculating Protein Skimmer (VarioS) - Reef Octopus

But Its huge and expensive I need something smaller, has anyone thought of getting the

Reef Octopus Classic 110EXT 4” Recirculating Protein Skimmer

and retrofitting it with Varios Pumps? Sorry for the long post but I thought the details were important

Last edited:

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk about those skimmers but the aquavitro salinity with 2nd pump kit is recirculating and u can swap out the psk 1000 pump with dc vs. Yes. Jay from sicce has done this exact skimmer set up I think.
Hths u
D

Back