Modifying aquascape after it’s wet

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 240g tank that’s recently come out of its cycle. My LFS built a scape for me. About half of it has been in the tank for 6 weeks, the other half is still dry. I decided to do some modifications to the dry sections, and now I think I’d like to modify the parts already in the tank. They are still clean, other than a coating of diatoms. Oh, and this is dry Marco rock.

So my question is whether or not it’s ok to take out the wet scape, let it dry, and start gluing new sections to it. I’ll be using cyanoacrylate/accelerant, and Marco 400 mortar. The concern is whether I’ll have issues getting new stuff to stick. Also, I’ll be killing the cycling bacteria that was on the rock. (I do have a 150 gallon sump connected to the system, with 4 bio bricks in it…)

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 240g tank that’s recently come out of its cycle. My LFS built a scape for me. About half of it has been in the tank for 6 weeks, the other half is still dry. I decided to do some modifications to the dry sections, and now I think I’d like to modify the parts already in the tank. They are still clean, other than a coating of diatoms. Oh, and this is dry Marco rock.

So my question is whether or not it’s ok to take out the wet scape, let it dry, and start gluing new sections to it. I’ll be using cyanoacrylate/accelerant, and Marco 400 mortar. The concern is whether I’ll have issues getting new stuff to stick. Also, I’ll be killing the cycling bacteria that was on the rock. (I do have a 150 gallon sump connected to the system, with 4 bio bricks in it…)
If you have sand in the tank you have more then enough bacteria established to pull the rock and do what you will without worries. Especially with those bio bricks dont worry about your bacteria. As for getting stuff to stick, pull the rock and give the areas you want to glue to a quick scrub and rinse and dry them before applying your mortar and it should be fine.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I also want to add about another half inch of live sand to the tank. So that will cover up the nitrifying bacteria on the surface. Should I stir up the sand after pouring the new sand in?

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I also want to add about another half inch of live sand to the tank. So that will cover up the nitrifying bacteria on the surface. Should I stir up the sand after pouring the new sand in?
In an established tank stirring up all the sand would be a nono but in a new one with no live stock you will be fine. You may just have a cloudy tank for a few days.

PlumbTuckered

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That isn't your issue. Taking rock out and letting it dry means that everything living on that rock will die. When you place it back in the tank, the organics on the rock will cause a huge algae explosion.

You would have to cure the rock before putting it back in the tank.

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see that there would be some die off, but I think rinsing the rock with saltwater or RODI before it goes in would reduce the introduction of nutrients.

One concern to keep in mind is that it will be difficult to replace on the bottom of the tank. You don't want sand between the rock and the bottom of the tank. If the rock is on the sand something may eventually destabilize the rock and cause it to fall.

You could probably drain most of the water so that you can really move the sand around without it moving right back.

My advice would be to make changes now if you are unhappy with you aquascape. It won't get any easier to fix than now.

PlumbTuckered

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see that there would be some die off, but I think rinsing the rock with saltwater or RODI before it goes in would reduce the introduction of nutrients.

One concern to keep in mind is that it will be difficult to replace on the bottom of the tank. You don't want sand between the rock and the bottom of the tank. If the rock is on the sand something may eventually destabilize the rock and cause it to fall.

You could probably drain most of the water so that you can really move the sand around without it moving right back.

My advice would be to make changes now if you are unhappy with you aquascape. It won't get any easier to fix than now.
We use live rock because of the amount of surface area it offers. The amount of surface area creates living space for bacteria.

Rinsing it would probably get about 1% of the organics. You'd still get a horrific algae bloom.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the on the rock is nitrifying bacteria. So you think I still need to cure it? Any problem curing it in tap water? I know people use roadie water for that, but tap water would be much less of a hassle.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the on the rock is nitrifying bacteria. So you think I still need to cure it? Any problem curing it in tap water? I know people use roadie water for that, but tap water would be much less of a hassle.
Do not use tap. You will be adding whatever chemicals your local water plant puts in to make it safe for human consumption. Those same things can be detrimental to you future inhabitants. Personally I wouldn't worry about any die off you create while fixing your scape. Your going to go through qn ugly stage one way or another.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also likely keep the rock wet by spraying it throughout the process and or wrapping the parts you’re not going to need in wet newspaper to keep things wet. Unless you keep it out of the water for a massively extended period, I doubt you’d have significant die off

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also likely keep the rock wet by spraying it throughout the process and or wrapping the parts you’re not going to need in wet newspaper to keep things wet. Unless you keep it out of the water for a massively extended period, I doubt you’d have significant die off
That sounds like a good plan, thanks.

While I have you folks, any suggestions for how much space to leave between the front and back glass from the scape?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to leave as much space as to fit my arm in case I drop a frag or something. (That said my 65 is a wall leaning against the back glass)

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but how much space between the front and the scape? A lot more than an arm, I’d think?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back