Molly behavior in saltwater

Taborct1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering if anybody has witnessed behavior changes within mollies in saltwater vs fresh water. Reason I ask is because it seems to be happening in my tank. Here's what's going on that seems abnormal behavior compared to when I had them in freshwater.

I helped cycle the tank with a molly. Once cycle was complete I added two clownfish (a frostbite and a black one). The molly wouldn't leave their side which wasn't too odd at first with mollies being a peaceful community fish. It got odd when the molly and the white clownfish started "shunning" the black clownfish. They weren't being aggressive towards it but just staying away.

Since I've added two PJ's, no issues there. About two weeks ago the molly had fry. I didn't find it until the other day so I'm guessing by its size and I only found one. Weird thing is shes been in the tank longer than the normal gestation period or so I thought.

Today I added two yellowtail damsels and this is the first time I have ever witnessed agressive behavior with a molly. For the first hour the damsels were in the corner getting their bearings and the molly stopped by to check them out. After that first hour she has been a complete b!/"&. Shes been chasing them into the rocks and been a bit relentless. No nipping yet but just chasing.

Has anybody else kept mollies in saltwater noticed behavior changes similar to this?

OP
OP
Taborct1

Taborct1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems the agression has stopped for now. Shes not bothering them and they are out and swimming around now. Not to concerned but still curious if anyone else has seen behavior changes like this.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm....I've only seen fin nipping and aggression towards mollies from a combination of banggai cardinalfish + firefish + maybe randall's shrimp gobies. I have found them to be slightly more aggressive during feeding time, but that could just be due to me feeding more frozen than flake food.

OP
OP
Taborct1

Taborct1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm....I've only seen fin nipping and aggression towards mollies from a combination of banggai cardinalfish + firefish + maybe randall's shrimp gobies. I have found them to be slightly more aggressive during feeding time, but that could just be due to me feeding more frozen than flake food.
I did feed shortly after I added the damsels and feed my own mix of marine feast and phyto combo. I have just never noticed agression like that from a molly and I've kept them with some odd combos like chiclids. A peacock chiclid tank with plants and mollies, that was an interesting one but they all got along oddly enough.

AnubisCruger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Just wondering if you guys have kept mollies with cleaner shrimp, /coral bandit shrimp... I got 4 mollies and acclimated them to my tank, the day after i added them my royal gramma, female clown fish and 2 shrimp died. I did not see who did it but either it was stress by adding new fish to the tank or the mollies attacked my stock.. any ideas?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back