Molly's in reef?

Saltfishlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here is an odd question. I saw a video of a guy who acclimated Molly fish to saltwater and put them in his FOWLR tank. Has anyone here done this? Was wondering if, s

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it has be done and can be done. They are good algae eaters
They are easy and cheap

some say they don’t even need to be accumulated to salt. Just throw them in

I did it thAt way and all 4 made it. Cool thing too is they are always breeding in the tank providing free fish food

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live food producers :)

Yeah, they do fine in salt water. One of the best small tank algae eating fishes I know of.

OP
OP
S

Saltfishlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I was crazy thinking of it. Good to know it's been done. I would do it for alge and live food.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i keep about 4-5 in my 40 long Qt tank. they keep it clean, keep the biological filter going and act as dither fish to calm new fish down a bit. i have always bought them in fW and dripped them to double the capacity of the water and dump em in. have lost a few, but 9% do fine.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i keep about 4-5 in my 40 long Qt tank. they keep it clean, keep the biological filter going and act as dither fish to calm new fish down a bit. i have always bought them in fW and dripped them to double the capacity of the water and dump em in. have lost a few, but 9% do fine.

I’m really hoping you meant 90%!?!

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank with a pair of mollies before I added my "regular" fish. The mollies were quite aggressive with my clowns. Had to banish the mollies to the refugium. I'm sure once the clowns put on a little size it would have worked out better.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do fine in saltwater but just remember these are not reef fish. They don’t handle flow well and are bad at avoiding danger (getting stung as well as water slide down the overflow).

eschaton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've actually heard that it can be done with guppies as well, though you have to go slower than with mollies - can't just plunk them in.

I've always been tempted to slowly acclimate a population of Endlers to saltwater. I've seen other people do it before, including on this forum.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back