Molykote 111 killing my skimmer?

andarre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm posting this here as it's a chemical and I don't know where else this can go.

Long story short, I put some Molykote 111 on the magnet and shaft of my 2 MP10's on Saturday as I cleaned out my wet sides and took the opportunity to do a little more maintenance to them.

Fast forward to today and my skimmer hasn't produced any skimmate at all since then. It just bubbles like boiling water and there are microbubbles being produced but no skimmate. Venturi is clear and nothing has changed as far as the level of water in the skimmer or how much air is getting into it. Also, there is plenty of DOC in the water as I haven't done a water change since last week since I've been dealing with a bit of a dino outbreak and I've been overfeeding and adding Neophos and Neonitro to increase my nutrient levels, but that's another mess.

Bottom line is, how do I remove this stuff from the water and get my skimmer working again? I've already cleaned off the Molykote from the MP10's and also cleaned my skimmer as well...

Thank you in advance for any help!

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consensus wins. Thank you very much! I'm just freaking out due to the dinos and I'd like everything to be in working order before I start my treatment. Thank you again!!

You can go super wet skimmate by raising the water level in the skimmer. However, going super wet will pull little out of your system and can lead to overflows when the system settles back in.

OP
OP
andarre

andarre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go super wet skimmate by raising the water level in the skimmer. However, going super wet will pull little out of your system and can lead to overflows when the system settles back in.
Pretty much exactly what I did and I also wiped down the inside of the skimmer and collection neck again. Funny enough, it's just now working again.

As an aside, you guys are all amazing and I appreciate all the help I've gotten from everyone!!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back