Mombasalionfish's 60gl fish thing

Island Reef 242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The arrow crab passed for unknown reasons.:( Other crabs are still alive. Also I am having trouble with nutrient levels being to high I have started to feed only once a day instead of twice. Any thing else I can do?
I don't know what your maintenance schedule is, but for me, I got my nutrient levels down by doing water changes once a week. I start by cleaning the glass, then blow any detritus, and left over fish food, off the rock using a turkey baster. Then start syphoning out the water. While syphoning I gently dab the hose all over the top of the sand bed to suck up any waste. I do not advise disturbing the sand bed to much, hopefully you have a good cleanup crew and critters that will keep the sand clean for you. I will also clean any sponge filter, filter floss, sock, you may have. I notice you have a canister filter to, those things can become nutrient sinks. so make sure that is cleaned out regularly to.

Another thing you could do is add more diversity to your tank. I don't know if they sell them in LFS's but i put a bunch of bivalves in my tank that i scraped off some rocks on the shoreline. They are great at filtering water.

I hope this helps.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what your maintenance schedule is, but for me, I got my nutrient levels down by doing water changes once a week. I start by cleaning the glass, then blow any detritus, and left over fish food, off the rock using a turkey baster. Then start syphoning out the water. While syphoning I gently dab the hose all over the top of the sand bed to suck up any waste. I do not advise disturbing the sand bed to much, hopefully you have a good cleanup crew and critters that will keep the sand clean for you. I will also clean any sponge filter, filter floss, sock, you may have. I notice you have a canister filter to, those things can become nutrient sinks. so make sure that is cleaned out regularly to.

Another thing you could do is add more diversity to your tank. I don't know if they sell them in LFS's but i put a bunch of bivalves in my tank that i scraped off some rocks on the shoreline. They are great at filtering water.

I hope this helps.
Thanks this is very helpful I have a giant hermit that keeps my sand bed 100% clean. Bivalves look interesting. And it looks like I will be doing a water change soon.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae is finally getting under control. I have a lot of new snails and hermits.
1574183916415.png
1574183936264.png

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also move this guy to a new tank so he doesn't knock down my rocks.
1574184015818.png
1574184032082.png

Ammonia in the new tank is 0 same with nitrate and nitrite. I gave it a few days to cycle and now the hermit is in along with an amphipod and isopods. It looks kind of boring though only a few rocks and a filter soon I will have coral in there too.

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back