Money and space aside, who prefers medium or nanos over large reef tanks?

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm sure many here have experience with both or have just chosen one over the other. Are there members here assuming you could afford either in terms of space or finances larger tanks versus smaller, if having to choose between the two would get smaller sized or nano tanks instead? Why? to me the great advantage of large tanks are being able to have species like tang in a couple other large species. Me personally, a Tang is not a deal breaker for an aquarium; but everybody has their own flavor and I'm just curious regarding those who have more swayed towards the medium or smaller nanos and not just because of money or space and why.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get asked occasionally why I don’t go big. I can afford a large tank, and have the space for it. But I already have five tanks, and do a lot of maintenance as it is. My tank sizes are 36, 50, 50, 75, and 135 gallons. The 135 is a fowlr. I don’t have anyone to help move a large tank into the basement of my home anyway, but I am content with what I have as well.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can manage a smaller tank better BUT if space and money weren't an issue I'd build a greenhouse with stock tanks you could lounge around...full on tropical island feel.

James Rutherford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 4 aquariums. A 250, 125, 110 and now a 33. I started with a 110 and ended up with a 250. It became too much for me to maintain everything and raise a daughter. This was in the mid 90s. I recently went into a local fish store and became inspired. I purchased a Red Sea 33 gallon. Since I am older a large tank was out of the question. Also, money is tight in retirement and I can’t believe how much more expensive this hobby has become. Long story short

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money and space were not an issue, I would build a proper backyard lagoon pool, complete with wavemaker. It would be a recreation/swim and reef pool.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 143 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%

Back