Debating starting over or quitting.

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
125 gallong reef setup. My time has gotten less and less over the last year so tank maintenance has slipped. The tank has had some issues in the last year or so. I have a Neptune WAV power head that has stopped working and a Radion light that has started flashing on and off(turned radions and am running just t5). I have been battling hair algae outbreak. And the real kicker I bought an Emperor angel that ate every zoa in my tank. I have a puffer, that the family loves, but I believe he is one of the main problems. He ate the cleanup crew and I believe he eats some of the smaller fish I try to add. I am left with a mushroom and GSP tank with fish. I just don't know if I have the heart or the money to restock the tank with the corals that I loved so much.

20231217_155003.jpg

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can relate to not having enough time for maintenance due to life issues, I feel like this situation is easily corrected.

If you planned to keep this system a Reef from the beginning, the puffer and Angel were self inflicted, as they will eat/pick at coral and clean up crews. Easily rehomed for other reef safe fish.

Now the equipment is gonna cost some $ to turn around and get fixed up, but I feel as though you have a nice enough system to warrant the changes.

Either way, best of luck. Reefing will always be there when you're ready.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can relate to not having enough time for maintenance due to life issues, I feel like this situation is easily corrected.

If you planned to keep this system a Reef from the beginning, the puffer and Angel were self inflicted, as they will eat/pick at coral and clean up crews. Easily rehomed for other reef safe fish.

Now the equipment is gonna cost some $ to turn around and get fixed up, but I feel as though you have a nice enough system to warrant the changes.

Either way, best of luck. Reefing will always be there when you're ready.
Spot on. Most angels and puffers have no place in a reef aquarium. And some elbow grease, increased filtration and maintenance and a healthy dose of patience fixes most issues in this hobby.

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get yourself a nano. After starting the hobby with a 120 gallon and now owning a nano (Waterbox 22 gallon with 11 gallon sump) because of the financial side of it, family obligations, living in an apartment, etc, I've learned that you don't necessarily need a large tank to have a beautiful reef. Florida Reef Keeper Brandon was and still is one of my main inspirations when I started a nano.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Someone else posted something like this a while ago - and I said don't give up. However. Reading what you wrote - follow your heart - and follow your interests. If you don't want a tank - I agree with you. Give it up - and give the Puffer, etc - to someone who wants to do it. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, I just think you should be happy in your hobby!

OP
OP
dakoop

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get yourself a nano. After starting the hobby with a 120 gallon and now owning a nano (Waterbox 22 gallon with 11 gallon sump) because of the financial side of it, family obligations, living in an apartment, etc, I've learned that you don't necessarily need a large tank to have a beautiful reef. Florida Reef Keeper Brandon was and still is one of my main inspirations when I started a nano.

That is a beautiful little tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
125 gallong reef setup. My time has gotten less and less over the last year so tank maintenance has slipped. The tank has had some issues in the last year or so. I have a Neptune WAV power head that has stopped working and a Radion light that has started flashing on and off(turned radions and am running just t5). I have been battling hair algae outbreak. And the real kicker I bought an Emperor angel that ate every zoa in my tank. I have a puffer, that the family loves, but I believe he is one of the main problems. He ate the cleanup crew and I believe he eats some of the smaller fish I try to add. I am left with a mushroom and GSP tank with fish. I just don't know if I have the heart or the money to restock the tank with the corals that I loved so much.

20231217_155003.jpg
PS - the tank looks great from here, and - PS - Many puffers are not reef-safe

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditch the angel, keep the puffer, trade local stores or hobbiests for different types of coral and see what the puffer leaves alone. I used to buy tons of little hermits and snails when I had a puffer. Like as many as I can from some wholesaler or reef cleaners or something like that. I fed the puffer clams every morning before work and enough hung around to keep the tank clean. It wasn't bad, the ones that survived kinda hung around. Blended in with the rocks etc. You can keep one or multiple urchins in the sump. Build a little divider to keep the puffer on one side for the day and just put 4 of those bulldozers in the other. And back to the sump they go. You can add lots of mollies, they eat algae and are cheap, so if he eats them he eats them.

OP
OP
dakoop

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angel was gone right after I realized it was eating zoas. Still my favorite fish.

OP
OP
dakoop

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thought of buying all those corals again

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes no sense to keep a fish for the family and then tear down the tank cause you’ve lost all interest.

You have to make the tank what you want it to be. It’s your tank that you maintain. Make it into something you love and the kids will love it too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back