Money Cowrie Biology

  • Thread starter Thread starter JoJosReef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JoJosReef

There's some lovely filth down here!
View Badges
Joined
Sep 27, 2021
Messages
20,721
Reaction score
80,760
Location
Orange County, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The money cowrie is a very interesting critter. Sometimes it looks pearly with its gold ring, sometimes it is rough-looking with little tentacles all over. Does anyone know what that is all about? Wikipedia just talks a bit about its mantle, but not its appearance.

Pearly:
IMG_20220221_165325990_HDR~2.jpg


Tentacly:
IMG_20220221_230932818~2.jpg
 
Sorry if I misunderstand your question, but the mantle referenced is what you are seeing in the 2nd rough looking pics. The tentacles you refer to are the mantle.
I have a few, they are cool and good workers. They are active, mantles out at night, patrolling the glass and rocks.
 
Sorry if I misunderstand your question, but the mantle referenced is what you are seeing in the 2nd rough looking pics. The tentacles you refer to are the mantle.
I have a few, they are cool and good workers. They are active, mantles out at night, patrolling the glass and rocks.

I'm curious about what it is for. What does the mantle "out" accomplish? Why go mantle "in"? Fun little guys. Glad I finally got one!
 
Love my money's, hands down the best snails I've had. Longest lived too. They go everywhere, glass, sand, rocks. Wish I could get more but reef cleaners is always out
 
Love my money's, hands down the best snails I've had. Longest lived too. They go everywhere, glass, sand, rocks. Wish I could get more but reef cleaners is always out
I got one that was attached to a mushroom/zoa rock I bought. Guy either didn’t notice or didn’t care about it I guess lol. By far the best cleaner in my coral qt and they are probably the coolest looking snail when their mantle is out.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new