OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if anyone has any suggestions/thoughts on other fish or substitutions that would be be rare, complimentary, and gorgeous additions, please let me know.

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
adding to the list, a dream wrasse pair - anampses femininus. if you find a male, female, or pair let me know!

gorgeous guys -

wrasse_zps67fdbcb4.jpg

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sweet, more goodies in the mail - more flow! this is the first one on the back pane. the trend across the boards seems like folks are loving the performance and price of the jebaos which = lots of vortechs for sale = lower and more competitive pricing on them =
drink39.gif
good times for me!

b84861eb-90d4-4fd6-9ed6-c1e094c4893e_zps2df55a32.jpg

8a3721af-6293-4073-99ad-e2d60322616a_zps5160d6e3.jpg

3b248d2f-c6b1-4ad1-9a63-b807c8c3aa8e_zps37c940c4.jpg

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How many MP40s and MP60s are you planning on running?
right now i envision 3-4 MP40s along the back pane and 1 MP40 and 1 MP60 on the sides, so 5-6 MP40s and 2 MP60s. this way i don't have to crank any of them way up (more noise and arguably more problems with longevity) and have all the flow i want for my future SPS coral's needs.

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
forgot to post an update...

made myself a sweet manifold from some irrigation gear and some cepex ball valves. i've made them from same materials before but this one for some reason just screams beee a utiful, haha.

the first angled 90° barb goes to the holding/acclimation tank and fuge which then flows into the nem prop tank and frag tank and then flows into the sump. the other two valves are for reactors and the last for a chiller or other high flow (1" barb) necessity down the road.

all this is being run off of the second dc10500 RO pump. this pump is only running at level 2 of 6 at the moment and producing plenty of flow. once i have the reactors and other stuff hooked up to the manifold i'll probably need to crank it up a bit.

CAM00329_zpsf9059670.jpg

CAM00328_zps2b4a0fc3.jpg

eight hours of plumbing later i have flow through the rest of the system and everything dialed in. no leaks, no sweat
cool.png

CAM00333_zps2a31dee6.jpg

next is to figure out where the heck to put all my electrical components, drivers, wiring, etc up and away from water and humidity and start tidying things up!

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
am going to need some heaters for the setup so i picked up some of these finnex titanium heaters.

f4acbbf2-7ae8-492d-9385-efd62a428f92_zpsfda3bcc1.jpg

did a quick review and search but nothing too compelling. just didn't want glass and wanted something reliable so i dont know. anyone have experience with these and any issues? i saved the money of getting the separate controller as i'll have them programmed in and hooked up to the apex. i only needed one but figure i can use the other for redundancy or for a back up since i had a discount coupon and credit and group buy pricing to BRS, might as well.

59ace38b-7756-4f1f-a1e9-33fd10db59c6_zpsafc5d276.jpg

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic elements(heating). I've been running a 800 on my 110 through my system for over two years with nothing but very precise control(actually to a fault because my reefkeeper malfunctioned and fried my tank long ago, but that thing is long gone). I control it completely with the apex and very accurate to 1/10 of a degree.

Very fast heating and extremely reliable to say the least in my experience. So much so that I will use nothing else in the future. Nice purchases!

Note2 on Tap Pro

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fantastic elements(heating). I've been running a 800 on my 110 through my system for over two years with nothing but very precise control(actually to a fault because my reefkeeper malfunctioned and fried my tank long ago, but that thing is long gone). I control it completely with the apex and very accurate to 1/10 of a degree.

Very fast heating and extremely reliable to say the least in my experience. So much so that I will use nothing else in the future. Nice purchases!
wow, that is freaking precise then huh? haha. thanks for the feedback and that sounds like a good purchase then!

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, yeah! Have to take the bad with the good! In I think ten minutes, it went from 78 to 90!

They are very unforgiving of bad programming or faulty equipment, but I tell you what, when it's right, it's a beautiful thing! I keep it set between a .2 difference with the apex. Two to three minutes at most duty cycle. I have a VO to monitor the monster and trip for 4 minutes. In a year, it has never tripped one time.

I know I'm sold on the crazy things!

Note2 on Tap Pro

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
that's really good information. so you have one of them on the EB8 outlet 4 or 8 then? you're only running one, right?

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's really good information. so you have one of them on the EB8 outlet 4 or 8 then? you're only running one, right?

Actually outlet 8 on one of the EBs. And lol, yes, only one.

I had said I was going to get a 300 for basically doing what you are, but just haven't as of yet. Add to that, that this thing has been, along with the apex, bulletproof(knock on wood), so my urgency is greatly diminished to almost non existent compared to glass. I will never go back to glass whatsoever.

Note2 on Tap Pro

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
got my new SMR-2500 from synergy today. it looks incredible and meticulous detailed follow through on the work, just my style ;)

b1d2c7eb-71e4-4bac-9609-7bb83ed41777_zpsed5b9a70.jpg

411ada2d-914a-41e6-b4a6-f070d12573bb_zps0f7a4e76.jpg

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so i've had a couple months at least now with the skimmer and so far so good. the DC5500s from RO have proven to be an awesome pump choice for grey seas/avast standard 12.

i have one of the at about 65% and the the other at 80% with the gate valve fully open on the drain from the skimmer and she has settled in nicely and producing wonderfully putrid skimmate.

the wall of tiny bubbles looks like someone poured low fat milk in the body and they can only be seen as tiny little bubbles if you really look hard. the swabbie is helping keep things running tip top. i do need to do some adjustment as it will skip sections of the neck and cup and with too much pressure doesn't work right, i need to work on finding the sweet spot with the hard edge of the swabbie or possibly swap out for a more squeegee type blade.

8e235cbb-c1bb-4cbc-95ce-3910a504bcae_zps9b49cfbf.jpg

at the moment with these settings i am removing a full cup of skimmate as shown below about every four days or so. this is about 3g or so. i haven't decided on what size locker i want to run yet so i'm just draining to a 5g bucket and dumping far from the house
Sick.gif
every few days.

9f04da47-9f96-49f7-bdf1-c1abe83b6c89_zps0cabfe6b.jpg

things are going smoothly so far but still have a lot to do. i still have a pile of wires in the fish room and random power strips. need to get those mounted on a wall, wires sleeved and organized, and figure out a power shelf or cabinet either blocked off to the right of the sump or above the tank or on the ball wall of the fish room behind the tank but don't know which and what wires need to be what length and which i will be able to extend etc especially with the apex and various modules and probes and power cords for all peripherals.

but baby steps, diligence, and patience will get 'er done...

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
on dd last night and still available tonight - a show-size a. achilles x a. nigricans (achilles goldrim hybrid tang).

well there goes wanting just a "regular" awesome looking achilles, haha.

lg-1029131-279_zpsdcd8b564.jpg

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
when i saw the clarion on the list to go up tonight, i thought just maybe it'll be within reach because of the years it has been since the initial batch came in and excitement has perhaps died down and then they were selling for $2400-2700 and now it'll have to be much less. NOPE. needless to say, i am without a clarion, haha. there are some fanatics for this fish and surprisingly it did take a couple hours before it was gone

clarion_zps8253fefa.jpg

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back