Months…and nitrites STILL 2.0ppg

blawndie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie here! Been cycling 2 months now. Ammonia hit 0 at 2 weeks or so, and I added 2 clowns. They are very happy. Nitrites went up to 2.0ppm. Nitrates slowly rose at about week 6 to 30ppm. I have 100gallon tank and 20gal sump. Is my testing off? I keep looking and reading I may have somehow stalled? I have diatoms. TY!!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think there is something wrong?
Nitrates might be high because of over feeding, or it could be your water. Are you doing water changes? They can help until your tank settles in.

OP
OP
B

blawndie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think there is something wrong?
Nitrates might be high because of over feeding, or it could be your water. Are you doing water changes? They can help until your tank settles in.

I am not. I have asked three different stores and they have told me not to but then I read things online and it makes it seem OK as long as I do a little by little. I was leaning toward that, but then it scares me.

OP
OP
B

blawndie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not. I have asked three different stores and they have told me not to but then I read things online and it makes it seem OK as long as I do a little by little. I was leaning toward that, but then it scares me.
Ps-thx for the reply; I truly want to learn!

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank seems cycled to me, I don't see an issue with doing water changes at this point. Also 30ppm nitrates aren't anything to worry about. Water changes will reduce the nitrates.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe in "stalled" cycles... it's not like bacteria just stop doing their job and reproducing. That said, if your ammonia is at 0 and you have nitrates, and your nitrites are that low, you can stop testing nitrites. Don't even worry about it, you have the bacterial colonies capable of converting it to nitrate as is evidenced by the fact that your nitrate is going up.

Next, go ahead and do water changes... Do 10 or even 20% changes weekly. Do it until you get a handle on everything else. Then you can stop doing it, forever, or at least until something comes up like a spike in nutrients, or chemical warfare, or something along those lines.

OP
OP
B

blawndie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe in "stalled" cycles... it's not like bacteria just stop doing their job and reproducing. That said, if your ammonia is at 0 and you have nitrates, and your nitrites are that low, you can stop testing nitrites. Don't even worry about it, you have the bacterial colonies capable of converting it to nitrate as is evidenced by the fact that your nitrate is going up.

Next, go ahead and do water changes... Do 10 or even 20% changes weekly. Do it until you get a handle on everything else. Then you can stop doing it, forever, or at least until something comes up like a spike in nutrients, or chemical warfare, or something along those lines

OP
OP
B

blawndie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not even sure about nutrient or chemical warfare…wanted to get into this on my own and trying to learn! Thank you!

ScottMil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a newbie too! One month into the fishless cycle with Dr Tim’s and ammonia. Ammonia is dropping to near zero today. I’m assuming it will be zero tomorrow. I will dose with ammonia and see where I am in 24 hours. I am seeing posts about nitrite not being toxic to saltwater fish but when I google it everything that comes up says that nitrite is extremely toxic. I’d hate to believe that it isn’t and put a fish in and have the nitrite fry it! Can someone show me some science on nitrite affects on saltwater fish?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back