Monti Cap Mucus Membrane

thatfishnerd

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 26, 2014
Messages
40
Reaction score
1
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I went to a frag swap yesterday and I picked up a purple monti cap and I got it home and all was well until I went to look at it this morning. About 75% of the coral has this white mucus "membrane" (not sure what else to call it). I will include a picture, has anyone else had a similar experience? What is the coral trying to do is it a stress related action or is this some sort of disease? If it is a disease how do I cure it? If it is stress related what is the coral trying to accomplish and how long can I expect the coral to look like that? The picture attached shows the coral in question at the top and at the bottom a red monti cap obtained from the same vendor from the same tank.
Thanks for your help!!
~Thatfishnerd
IMG_20150208_103559045.jpg
 
its rtn that's the skeleton your seeing from what I can see the flesh has peeled away ie dying how old is your tank and what are your parameters and lighting filtration
 
+1 to RTN. It is dying. Frag fast and keep what left.
 
Are you sure?? I'm not trying to doubt you but I just don't want to lose this coral, I just got it. Well the tank parameters are 0's for Nitrogen based substances, 75 degrees and 1.026 specific gravity. The lighting is a double bright marineland 18" LED, the tank it is in is a hospital tank, it has been up and running for 6 months plus. I have attached a picture that I took after I "dusted" off the coral, hopefully this will change the diagnosis, I'm hoping it was just a bad picture.
~Thatfishnerd
View attachment 217434
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new