Monti Cap Damage

  • Thread starter Thread starter GeoSquid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

GeoSquid

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 15, 2010
Messages
653
Reaction score
648
Location
SoCal
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a monti cap and I occasionally get these white areas. They usually last for a couple days then it goes back to normal. Is this fish damage or something else?



20260820_144631~2.jpg
 
Have you checked if it's just substrate or some mucus that you could blow away with a turkey baster or feeding pipette?

If it would actually bleach in these spots it would not return to normal within a few days and usually bleaching starts from the outer rim and then spreads inward.
 
I get this when detritus collects and isn't removed soon enough.
Hamm. It gets really good flow and I dont ever see detritus. It'll look damaged and then heal in about 3 days or so and then looks normal.
 
Last edited:
I figured it out. I have some egg crate above the tank and I think i occasionally knock some salt off that gets crushed on. Some of that salt falls on the monti and kills little spots. The previous ones have mostly healed but I was doing some work around the tank and saw some fall but it took me awhile before I could blow it off. I have a few more spots from that now.



20260826_123757.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new