Monti Cap placement help and growth questions

Discussion in 'General SPS Discussion' started by LMDAVE, Mar 12, 2018.

1. LMDAVE

LMDAVE Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I'm new to SPS and will be trying a Montipora Capricornis. I ordered a red and green monti cap frag (1-2").

I'm curious how to go about go from what I envision to actual, or close to it. I want to place the coral on the top right and eventually hope it will grow in levels down the side of the rock. I photoshopped some of what I'm hoping for and also showing a sample picture of the frag I ordered.

Should I just glue in on top the rock as close to the edge and just monitor growth? Do levels usually happen naturally (as opposed to plating out), or do they need assistance?

IMG_2911.JPG

IMG_2914.JPG

monti.jpg

Crabs Mcjones likes this.
    Tags:

2. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Moderator With Training Wheels Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

They'll form naturally, looks to be a pretty good spot, up top with lots of flow. Just be careful where you place future corals, as when those grow out they tend to shade everything underneath them :) WHat lighting do you have over it?

LMDAVE likes this.
  3. LobsterOfJustice

LobsterOfJustice Well-Known Member

It will grow up, not down. So place it at the lowest point. It will create different layers on its own, but sometimes they might not do that until a layer is larger than you want for that small of a space. So you might end up breaking pieces off the first layer and gluing to the rock above to create the second layer. Remember the upper layers will shade the lower layers (and anything else below the coral in the tank).

LMDAVE likes this.
  4. LMDAVE

Thanks, its good to know they layer upwards and not down. Crabs, my lighting is a Fluval Marine & Reef 2.0 LED strip.

I'm ok with it growing upward also, and I'm OK with shade below the particular spot on the side right. I guess I'll have to see the frag when it comes in see if maybe I can bond it to the side of that rock about an inch down, if not I'll put it on the top edge and just see if I get any growth at all first.

Crabs Mcjones likes this.
  5. LMDAVE

I got my frag in today. I just have it sitting on the rock, I might be content with leaving it right there and glue it down.

Stupid question, but what should I do with that piece of coral bone on the left of the frag rock? Just break it off or leave it?

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2925.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted