Monti Cap placement help and growth questions

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to SPS and will be trying a Montipora Capricornis. I ordered a red and green monti cap frag (1-2").

I'm curious how to go about go from what I envision to actual, or close to it. I want to place the coral on the top right and eventually hope it will grow in levels down the side of the rock. I photoshopped some of what I'm hoping for and also showing a sample picture of the frag I ordered.

Should I just glue in on top the rock as close to the edge and just monitor growth? Do levels usually happen naturally (as opposed to plating out), or do they need assistance?

IMG_2911.JPG

IMG_2914.JPG

monti.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to SPS and will be trying a Montipora Capricornis. I ordered a red and green monti cap frag (1-2").

I'm curious how to go about go from what I envision to actual, or close to it. I want to place the coral on the top right and eventually hope it will grow in levels down the side of the rock. I photoshopped some of what I'm hoping for and also showing a sample picture of the frag I ordered.

Should I just glue in on top the rock as close to the edge and just monitor growth? Do levels usually happen naturally (as opposed to plating out), or do they need assistance?

IMG_2911.JPG

IMG_2914.JPG

monti.jpg
They'll form naturally, looks to be a pretty good spot, up top with lots of flow. Just be careful where you place future corals, as when those grow out they tend to shade everything underneath them :) WHat lighting do you have over it?

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will grow up, not down. So place it at the lowest point. It will create different layers on its own, but sometimes they might not do that until a layer is larger than you want for that small of a space. So you might end up breaking pieces off the first layer and gluing to the rock above to create the second layer. Remember the upper layers will shade the lower layers (and anything else below the coral in the tank).

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, its good to know they layer upwards and not down. Crabs, my lighting is a Fluval Marine & Reef 2.0 LED strip.

I'm ok with it growing upward also, and I'm OK with shade below the particular spot on the side right. I guess I'll have to see the frag when it comes in see if maybe I can bond it to the side of that rock about an inch down, if not I'll put it on the top edge and just see if I get any growth at all first.

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my frag in today. I just have it sitting on the rock, I might be content with leaving it right there and glue it down.

Stupid question, but what should I do with that piece of coral bone on the left of the frag rock? Just break it off or leave it?

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2925.jpg

Daniel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found this thread while browsing something else.
That photoshop is legendary hahaha

Hope everything worked out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back