Monti - fist time SPS help

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I picked up my first SPS yesterday to test the waters. My tank is ~1.8 years old and LPS/soft dominant.

I found a cheap “Legacy” Monti at my LFS yesterday and figured, why not? So, I have a couple questions -

1. What is a “legacy” Monti, or more specifically, what type of Monti did they sell me? I couldn’t find a “legacy” Monti in my online searches.
2. Following drip/acclimation, I noticed after adding to my tank that the far right end may have some tissue recession? Is this something the coral can recover from, or am I misinterpreting? I know SPS can look white at the edges, but idk - doesn’t seem like something that indicates growth.

I should have caught that at the store, but was busy gazing at all the expensive corals I couldn’t drop money on

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

IMG_7550.jpeg IMG_7551.jpeg IMG_7552.jpeg

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually if it’s just a bit white at the very edge that typically means new growth. Best guess on the legacy name. Probably means has been aquacultured and fragged in “our” tanks would be my guess. Or it had a recognizable name at one point

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ow wow, very nice, kind of hard to say for sure with such a small frag, it will be easier to identify later when its bigger, but check out pics of crazy t, beach bum, and kung pao, it has the same texture, these are the best monti's to go for IMO. Don't know why they called it "legacy"....

It seems disintegrating on the one side, perhaps it was too close to another coral at the LFS, who knows, but it should be fairly easy to turn it around, just give it high light and high flow. Good luck.

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ow wow, very nice, kind of hard to say for sure with such a small frag, it will be easier to identify later when its bigger, but check out pics of crazy t, beach bum, and kung pao, it has the same texture, these are the best monti's to go for IMO. Don't know why they called it "legacy"....

It seems disintegrating on the one side, perhaps it was too close to another coral at the LFS, who knows, but it should be fairly easy to turn it around, just give it high light and high flow. Good luck.
Thanks Ryan and mojo! Yes, they do have a back section where they grow out and frag their own colonies, so my guess is that’s what they’re referring too by legacy. I’ll definitely check those variants out!

And that’s what I was thinking too - but im glad to hear the disintegrating isn’t a death sentence haha. I’ll be sure to keep an eye on it though and make sure it doesn’t get worse.

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’d guess it looks most closely to the beach bum Monti, and price seems to be most similar to what I’m seeing online. Time will tell!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back