Monti Sp question.

Elwood Dowd

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 4, 2017
Messages
127
Reaction score
184
Location
At home with velvet, bryopsis, and dinos
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20181015_194324_HDR.jpg
I have looked all over the place and cannot find an answer. What causes the textural changes in montipora sp? Do those changes in texture tell us anything about our tanks vs our corals needs?

For example, the season's greetings in the photo. It has a noticeably smoother texture in the center versus the outer growth. The outer growth obviously occurred After I brought it home.
 
I'd guess it's mostly due to difference in flow, higher flow = "rougher" growth pattern, lower flow = "smoother". Not sure though, but based on what I've seen in my own tanks, and others that's my first thought
 
I'd guess it's mostly due to difference in flow, higher flow = "rougher" growth pattern, lower flow = "smoother". Not sure though, but based on what I've seen in my own tanks, and others that's my first thought
Mine as well. It seems logical and I could find message board banter like ours. But I couldn't find anything that has conclusively stated or confirmed that.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new