Monti with bright patches.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Experts, I am new to hard corals.. got a monti recently.. started seeing some bright patches after a few days, no major changes to its plate colour... hope it is not bleaching.

Here are some pics, Pic 1 - before (lights on when i took the pic). Pic 2 - now (pic taken with no lights).

Here are my water parameters:
KH: 11 - 14
PH: 7.8 - 8.2
Ca: >500
Temp: 26°C
Salinity: 1.026
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0

20210301_140013.jpg
20210302_214202.jpg
Appreciate any help and suggestions.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall health looks good. I would say that those spots may be from something either roughing it up like a snail or even from detritus/sand settling on the tissue for too long. How is the flow in that part of the tank?

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would disagree.

Looks pale for a Montipora. This is often times an indication that’s its receiving too much light (par) and/or aquarium nutrients are low in conjunction with too high of an alkalinity value (Alk and nitrate/phosphate have to be balanced.

I would slowly bring down your alkalinity to 8-9, bring down calcium to under 500, and raise your nitrate to around 5. Also check your magnesium and phosphate levels.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said overall health meaning its not dead or dying. Nothing about color, which could vary depending on lighting and the camera/filter used.

Agreed the ALK/CA is a bit high and nutrients are low. Usually spots like the ones in questions are related to detritus or sand settling to long on the tissue causing tissue necrosis.

The monti in question looks like a JF Green Eggs and Ham. Increased nutrients or decreased lighting should help with coloration.

1614711065506.png

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall health looks good. I would say that those spots may be from something either roughing it up like a snail or even from detritus/sand settling on the tissue for too long. How is the flow in that part of the tank?
Thanks, mine is a 200L AIO tank.. flow should be medium at that part of the tank.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would disagree.

Looks pale for a Montipora. This is often times an indication that’s its receiving too much light (par) and/or aquarium nutrients are low in conjunction with too high of an alkalinity value (Alk and nitrate/phosphate have to be balanced.

I would slowly bring down your alkalinity to 8-9, bring down calcium to under 500, and raise your nitrate to around 5. Also check your magnesium and phosphate levels.
Thanks, and a little worried now. As mentioned I am new to hard corals (not been extremely successful with soft corals either but not killing them as I used to). To add on the water parameters:
Lighting: basic NemoLight (and, I am not measuring par values.. and yes, I should invest on the par calculator). Placed the monti in the middle of the tank where the light and flow are medium (as suggested by LFS).
Phos: 0.5 - 1.0
Mag: not testing (realised my API kit doesn't include mag test)
Any suggestions on how to bring down alkalinity & calcium (been struggling with high cal for a while now).

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said overall health meaning its not dead or dying. Nothing about color, which could vary depending on lighting and the camera/filter used.

Agreed the ALK/CA is a bit high and nutrients are low. Usually spots like the ones in questions are related to detritus or sand settling to long on the tissue causing tissue necrosis.

The monti in question looks like a JF Green Eggs and Ham. Increased nutrients or decreased lighting should help with coloration.

1614711065506.png
Thanks, will keep an eye on my other inhabitants... do often see the stars and snails near the monti and they sometime even push it a little. Thanks for the ID and suggestions... any recommendation on how to manage ALK/CA will be much appreciated. Hoping to help this guy to be healthy.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Some possible causes:

Lights too bright
to much or little water flow
Alk high
CA High
Mag High
PH Low
Salinity high
Monti eating nudibranchs which are tiny

Moderate light and water flow
Temp 77-79
salinity 1.025
ph 8.1-8.3
mag 1300
CA 440
Alk 8-9
Nitrate < .04
Phosphate < .04

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would disagree.

Great advice I'm working on exactly these.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would disagree.

One more question... was told to keep nitrate at 0.. any suggestions on how to increase them? At 5 it is not harmful to the other animals right (mine is a mixed reef tank). Thanks again.

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some possible causes:

Lights too bright
Alk high
CA High
Mag High
PH Low
Salinity high

Temp 77-79
salinity 1.025
ph 8.1-8.3
mag 1300
CA 440
Alk 8-9
Nitrate < .04
Phosphate < .04
Would you call 9.4 dkh too high? I accidentally overdosed and it was up over 20dkh a week or so ago. My parameters are close and I've taken lighting to 6hrs t5, with 8 hours of peak lighting... The acro I added a month ago hasn't died yet and look great, I just have a little high po4 and no3 is low, I'm thinking of turning my fuge offline until nitrate comes up to 10ish-15ish... Any suggestions will help.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some possible causes:

Lights too bright
Alk high
CA High
Mag High
PH Low
Salinity high

Temp 77-79
salinity 1.025
ph 8.1-8.3
mag 1300
CA 440
Alk 8-9
Nitrate < .04
Phosphate < .04
Wow, thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you call 9.4 dkh too high? I accidentally overdosed and it was up over 20dkh a week or so ago. My parameters are close and I've taken lighting to 6hrs t5, with 8 hours of peak lighting... The acro I added a month ago hasn't died yet and look great, I just have a little high po4 and no3 is low, I'm thinking of turning my fuge offline until nitrate comes up to 10ish-15ish... Any suggestions will help.
So nitrate can go up that high? It is not harmful?

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Experts, was working on the water parameters including wc... but looks like no positive impact on the monti... it is more pale now and seeing lesser polyps opened. Today i also saw brown coloration which looked like algea. Anything I could try to save the monti? Thanks.
20210308_133924.jpg

20210308_133913.jpg

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water parameters currently (API):
KH: 14
PH: 8 - 8.2
Ca: >500
Temp: 26°C
Salinity: 1.026
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Phosphate: 2

Last edited:
OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, a quick update.. tried all the suggestions and after much fight I lost my monti. Very sad but valuable lesson learnt. Thanks for all your help.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back