Montipora bleaching- frag it?

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys my monti is bleaching. Since it’s only happening to 2 plating montis (and 1 much worse than the other) out of about 20+ corals I thought it was a nudibranch or something. I checked for them but didn’t see any, dipped it anyway etc but it’s still progressing on one monti. Should I frag it or give it time? (Had the 2 plating ones for about 4 years, nothing new going on with the tank.)

DCB52AEE-9357-45B6-B99C-D6B8A12551B5.jpeg EEFAEDCD-158F-4043-8E65-6A4F3276E8E5.jpeg

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's still progressing, I would frag it.

I had this before on a medium size colony. I used a dremel and cut about 1/8th inch into good tissueto make sure I got all of the stn pieces. It saved the colony. Took a couple weeks for it to heal and start growing again

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it bleaching? Or maybe a better question is it bleaching or dying and why? If it's a bacterial infection the healthy portion may still be infected and trying to frag it might not help it any. If it's a nutrient issue fragging may slow down or prevent a secondary infection from spreading but you still need to address the underlying issue. More information would help.

OP
OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed- if I knew why it was bleaching/dying Id be happier. Its in a 220g tank, set up for 5+ years, I've had this coral for 4 years. Ph 8.13, nitrates 7 , phos 0.04, mag 1280, ca 440, alk 7.5-8. RODI h20 + Instant Ocean. Water changes by weekly or as needed if phos and nitrates are low, I will wait to change and dose with ABCD for trace elements. Theres a variety of corals (stylos, acros, duncans, bubble, hammer, frogspawn, candy cane, psammacora, mushrooms, leather, lepto etc. ) and several encrusting montii's along with the 2 plating. Only the 2 plating have been affected, all the other corals and critters are doing fine, and the red's bleached spots are small and dont seem to be progressing at all but the blue/green is. I did a coral RX dip and its still bleaching.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back