Montipora Bleaching - Help!!!

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this coral for about 9 months and its growth has been really good and color excellent. I've fragged it a couple of time with no ill effect. But in that last 2 days, 50% of the coral has bleached. The only change to the system is I added a copperband butterfly and one spot rabbitfish last Thursday. I have no issue with any other corals. There was an emerald crab living under the center ridge and even he has moved out. Maybe a coincidence? I don't know.

Params
Ca 420
dKH 10.9
Mg 1550
Sal 36 ppt
Nitrate 5
Phos .09
Temp 79

I've kept these parameters fairly stable for the past year. Any ideas?

Coral Death.jpg

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RTN, I unfortunately suppose, possibly bacterial and can happen anytime. Introducing new fish might've brought new bacteria strain causing STN.
You have a shot if you frag healthy part, you could dip it in iodine too. I know some use Antybiotics, but I do not have personal experience ( in use of antibiotics on no humans)
Good Luck!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like perhaps another coral is waring with it, eating it alive with sweeper tentacles?

And if that isn't the case, then I agree that a frag of the health end should be taken to prevent a possible total loss.

Sorry

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like perhaps another coral is waring with it, eating it alive with sweeper tentacles?

And if that isn't the case, then I agree that a frag of the health end should be taken to prevent a possible total loss.

Sorry
I am so stupid!!!. There is another coral there that it encroached upon. I didn't even think about that. I kept fragging it to keep it away from the SPS but went away for a couple of weeks and it had overtaken most of its neighbor. I gave up on the SPS figuring the monti would encrust over it. But maybe you're right and its fighting back. Thanks.

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the monti is completely bleached. Very sad. Wednesday evening, I did frag a healthy piece far away from the bleaching and moved the frag to a new location. Now, that piece is also bleaching. So I'm not sure stinging sweepers were the issue. What is interesting is I have another piece of the monti that I fragged about a month ago and is thriving. So I'm wondering if the mother colony was diseased???

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the monti is completely bleached. Very sad. Wednesday evening, I did frag a healthy piece far away from the bleaching and moved the frag to a new location. Now, that piece is also bleaching. So I'm not sure stinging sweepers were the issue. What is interesting is I have another piece of the monti that I fragged about a month ago and is thriving. So I'm wondering if the mother colony was diseased???
Highly likely it was suffering from all the stinging and who knows what response that triggers in a colony. Lot to learn in reef interactions in the wild and in our tanks. Glad you already had a new colony started.

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be wrong but that looks like a vermited web.

Edit: just saw the new post. yes, that's your culprit
Well, your comment about vermited web piqued my curiosity and and looked up what that was. And low and behold, I found pictures on the web of what is growing next to my bleached monti. Two vermited snails. I believe you were correct. See pic below. They had webs coming out of the tubes. I ripped them off right before I took this picture. Now how to handle these pests???

Snail.jpg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back