Montipora bleaching

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an encrusting orange polyp monti that is all of a sudden showing some bleaching around the edges. I have it set mid height in my 90 gallon with two Phlizons that are set to 10% white and 90% blue. I also just put in a 120 scp Jebao gyre that increased flow in that area. Should I get this guy into lower light??

IMG_3241.JPG

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be a growth ring, not bleaching. Its hard to tell with the blue lights. Montis get a white ring around the edges indicating growth. When they have bleached its always been a large spot in the middle of the coral, and works its way out to the edges.

How long has it been in your tank and what are your parameters?

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never done well with encrusting monti (somehow)
But some do say that if it’s all around and just a thing layer it could indicate growth. If you do feel like it’s getting blasted then you should trust your instinct and move it to lower flow

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what my montis look like when they are bleaching
1698320849049.png

This is a normal growth ring on the perimeter
1698320885747.png

Note: I just grabbed this pics from google to show the difference. They aren't my pictures.

OP
OP
mossanimal

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be a growth ring, not bleaching. Its hard to tell with the blue lights. Montis get a white ring around the edges indicating growth. When they have bleached its always been a large spot in the middle of the coral, and works its way out to the edges.

How long has it been in your tank and what are your parameters?
There is one tiny spot closer the 'middle edge' that had me more worried. But most is along the edge as you say. Salinity 1.025, Phosphate 0.5 (have been trying to get get down), Nitrates 7, Calcium 420, Alkalinity 143, pH 8-8.2, Mg 1340. It's only been in the tank for 1 month.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay... yeah maybe I'm seeing growth!
That's my initial guess. Just keep an eye on it. In my tank, they usually don't do much for a couple months, then all of a sudden they grow like crazy. As a previous poster said, they typically like high flow and light as well.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one tiny spot closer the 'middle edge' that had me more worried. But most is along the edge as you say. Salinity 1.025, Phosphate 0.5 (have been trying to get get down), Nitrates 7, Calcium 420, Alkalinity 143, pH 8-8.2, Mg 1340. It's only been in the tank for 1 month.
Alk of 143, that's a little high lol. Phosphate is high but many people have had success with high phosphates. I grew montis in 0.2-0.3 phosphate no problem in my old system.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back