Montipora Cap Flow Response - good or bad?

iamgreg123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I increased the flow from my MP40s and noticed that my Starburst Montipora Cap, which is basically in the direct flow path, responded immediately by raising or inflating the tissue surrounding the polyps, as if to better protect them. Now the coral has an overall more bumpy appearance.

Is that good or bad?

OP
OP
iamgreg123

iamgreg123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picture might be helpful!
Good point! Pic included. I'm not great at reef photography yet. It's just a frag. You can just barely make out the donut shaped tissue raised around each polyp at the center of the frag.
Monti_Cap_Flow_ Response.png

(I realize I should also do an intro and tank thread so you can learn more about my system. Will do asap! It's my first reef and first monti!)

OP
OP
iamgreg123

iamgreg123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should clarify that I had actually moved the wavemaker down on the glass so that the monti was newly in the direct flow path.

It turns out the immediate response to raise it's tissue around the polyps was temporary. After adjusting, the coral seems to like the new flow! The tissue has relaxed and it has better poly extension.
Critter ID 3.jpg

Critter ID 4.jpg

My photography is only slightly better and color depends on time of day / lighting.

Is there any way or anyone that can move this thread to the "General SPS Discussion" section?

(The critter pictured is discussed here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/m...ms-living-inside-coral.1030314/#post-12118582)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back