Montipora Digi question

SweetOblivion

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 24, 2013
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello chaps, before we begin I'd like to share a bit of backstory.

This is my 6th month in the hobby, and 3rd month of reefing. I get a lot of my animals and plants from a local fishstore run by a seasoned fellow named Mike.

Mike has decades of experiance in fishkeeping and is rarely mistaken, he used to work on tanks for movie sets years back.

Anyway, I recently purchased a good sized Montipora Digi with bright green polyps for about 50 dollars. I've had it for a while and love it quite a bit, as this is my first SPS coral, but I've noticed something peculiar.

The branches on this digi are disturbingly thin, maybe a 1/4 of an in the thicker areas. It's quite brittle as well, I've managed to break off a few pieces while simply moving it (which later were glued to frag plugs and placed back in the tank until my frag tank is set up) I've never seen a digi this thin before, even online.

I'm curious as to what my fishkeeping elders think of this, and if there's any way to encourage thicker branch growth.

Thanks.

CAM00003.jpg
 
+1 on the wrong coral, the branches might not get too much thicker if that is the case, but I think I have about 40-50x turnover in my tank
 
birdsnests are usually pretty hardy, I had a bunch of frags survive after taking a ride through an MP40, what do you mean it is pretty delicate?
 
birdsnests are usually pretty hardy, I had a bunch of frags survive after taking a ride through an MP40, what do you mean it is pretty delicate?

What I meant was: It has a rather brittle skeleton compared to most of the other SPS corals I've seen.
 
Agreed, that looks like an ORA neon green birdsnest and it looks fine as far as thickness. Mine does grow in a tighter cluster though.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new