Montipora Eating Nudibranch. How to deal with them?

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guys, i have made a noobie mistake as the noobie i am.

I have introdopted 3 easy SPS to see if my tank can deal with them, i have a small 17g display 2 foot long with a k7 mini.

I have added a pavona green, a turbinaria and a red montipora plate (monti cap) and i did not dipped before putting them in.

I have noticed yesterday night some weird tiny things attached to my monti, after research i'm 99.9% sure they are monti eating nudi's.

How to deal with them?

I have a redsea dipX

I have another small 13g tank with anemone and few softies but water quality isn't great (no3 aroun 15/20, po4 0.06, alk going up e down since i don't have yet a way to keep it up stable, same for CA and MG (i will get a peristaltic for all for reef in a week or so). light should not be a problem if i put them high.

Having that, how you will deal with the nudis? I've tought of a couple of option

1 get monti's out, dip them and put them back in
2 take monti's out, dip them and put them in the other nano to act as "quarantine tank" till eventual nudis left in main tank will die of starvation

What would you do?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi , any pics of both, monti and nudi's ?
Not to sound crude, WIWD, nothing in tank's for them to feed on if just disposed of monti
they will starve out in a couple of weeks, lot of work involved to save , dip ,scrub ,QT, repeat to rid of eggs
Sorry ,JMO...

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Scrub underside of montis with tooth brush and add a wrasse

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to sound crude, WIWD, nothing in tank's for them to feed on if just disposed of monti
they will starve out in a couple of weeks, lot of work involved to save , dip ,scrub ,QT, repeat to rid of eggs
Sorry ,JMO...
i'll try tonight to make a photo but they are like 2mm thingy, monti is a cheap frag of about 5x10cm total, very cheap and definetly i can throw it in case. They seems (and i tought it was) like some 5/6grain of sand attached to slime moving because of flow. Then with macro i''ve saw that it was more alive than what i tought (also because morning after there were still attached but in another place. I will get them out dip them and put them in the other tank with only soft and dip them every 2 weeks, if monti survive i will check if nudis reappear or not before put them back in main tank where i would like to put more sps in future.
Scrub underside of montis with tooth brush and add a wrasse
can't add anything else, bioload is at limit in the tank. Prefer to take out monti's and see if dip-x does something.

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry ,JMO...
Here's the body of nudis after dip-x there were like 50 on the dip (o thought there were 4/5 while looking at frags)... I've dipped them and put them in the smaller tank that will never see other Montis, I will look out if some comes out again. They are like 2/3mm at most.

Attachments

• IMG_20230627_215454.jpg
    IMG_20230627_215454.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20230627_215604.jpg
    IMG_20230627_215604.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 48

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back