Coral Dip Help

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a bunch of corals coming in tomorrow and I have some of the Seachem Dip for them.

Been a year or 2 since I have done this and kind of forgot my process.

The instructions just say to leave the corals in the dip solution for 20-30 minutes then plop them in the tank.

Is this actually best practice? Should I not put them in untreated saltwater after the dip to get all of the dip off before I put them in my main tank?

Seachem is an Iodine base.

What is your folks dip procedure?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a bunch of corals coming in tomorrow and I have some of the Seachem Dip for them.

The instructions just say to leave the corals in the dip solution for 20-30 minutes then plop them in the tank.

Is this actually best practice? Should I not put them in untreated saltwater after the dip to get all of the dip off before I put them in my main tank?

I usually leave them in dip 20 mins after floating bag for temp, then simply shake off the excess and place them in the new home. Haven’t had any losses with zoas, GSP, LPS or SPS

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I leave them 5-10 mins and rinse in a cup of tank water before introduction But acclimate them first - A step often missed

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse is always a good idea. Another good idea is to inspect the dipping and rinse containers for what came off... if something nasty, then you might want to reconsider adding these corals at all... but at least you know what you are dealing with.

Iodine is not a comprehensive dip for all coral pests. It is better than nothing, though.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After dipping, I place them in another container with acclimated tank water and squirt them with a turkey baster to further clean them off and dilute the coral dip. Then, I place them in a coral quarantine tank for 30-90 days prior to placing them in my main tank.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was a big fan of Bayer dipping but recently started using potassium chloride to knock off the worms that hitchhike from the industrial holding tanks to mine.

Visual inspection and dip water inspection is crucial to know what you have been sent besides the coral you ordered.

2 tablespoons per gallon of dip saltwater bath.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer Insecticide is a very gentle and effective coral dip. I am not well versed on the new packaging (I have a stash), but perhaps you can study up and find some locally. This will do more than elemental iodine. it is one of the easiest things to acquire and use when in a hurry.

I am sorry that I missed your question about procedure. This won't help much since I have coral QT, but I just put them in the tank and dip them after they show no signs of stress from the move or shipping. This is a luxury. If I had to just put them in the display, I would use Bayer since it is super gentle and get a wide range of pests.

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a similar position so I'm bumping this thread.

I've used ReVive Coral Cleaner for years. It's suggested that it's more effective than just an iodine based dip.

Anyone have good or bad experiences with ReVive Coral Cleaner ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back