Montipora Fragging

  • Thread starter Thread starter JTN
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JTN

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 30, 2018
Messages
63
Reaction score
27
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I am looking for some advice on my plating Montipora.
I want it to grow in layers up, instead of out and down.
How should I cut it back to help convincing it to grow that way?

IMG_8140.jpeg IMG_8140.jpeg
 
It won't grow in layers up because it would shade itself and kill itself.

It would only make sense for the colony to grow out.

It can also decide to grow up, but then it would "cup" which would cause problems of its own of collecting detritus and not looking too good to view.

you CAN frag it and attach a new frag above it, but it will grow and kill the one below by shading
 
It won't grow in layers up because it would shade itself and kill itself.

It would only make sense for the colony to grow out.

It can also decide to grow up, but then it would "cup" which would cause problems of its own of collecting detritus and not looking too good to view.

you CAN frag it and attach a new frag above it, but it will grow and kill the one below by shading
Ah, all good points. TY
As far as fragging it in general. I can't remove it from the tank, therefore I would have to do so underwater. Just take a pair of bone cutters and cut it back?
 
Ah, all good points. TY
As far as fragging it in general. I can't remove it from the tank, therefore I would have to do so underwater. Just take a pair of bone cutters and cut it back?
yea, that works.

With plating montis, you can probably use your hands to break a chunk off, depending on how thick your colony has grown
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new