Montipora gods please shed some light.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a specific requirement for keeping greens vs reds?
Reason being, I have struggled with keeping green caps but can grow reds like weeds, why?
Supplements, spectrum, what are your thoughts?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a specific requirement for keeping greens vs reds?
Reason being, I have struggled with keeping green caps but can grow reds like weeds, why?
Supplements, spectrum, what are your thoughts?
That's a good question. I was under the assumption that they had the same requirements. Following along for others thoughts :)

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, a more daylight spectrum will cause green caps to wash out a little, but the red will look very nice still. Used to run a lot of 65k bulbs over my tanks and my green caps always looked okay, but never extremely vibrant like they are now under more B+ bulbs. Don't think its so much the par or intensity, but the spectrum they are being hit with.

I'm sure there can be other factors involved as well, JME with caps..

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have green and red next to each other and purple in another place on the tank. The green does wash out, or changes to a color closer to it's polyp color when I have my lights up higher. The red is a sturdy slow grower no matter what and the purple is a steady fast grower no matter what. It is even in slightly lower light than the red and green (just a guess because I don't have a par meter). The green just seems to be more sensitive to higher light.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red does better in higher par/intensity than my green. Just like everyone else, the green will wash out in higher par.

I try to keep my red higher up than my green for this reason.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a purple then green then red all next to eachother and they all grow at the same rate and all have the same vibrancy. I run very high par. They probs are hgetting round 250-300 at the bottom of my tank

OP
OP
Reeferdood

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple then green then red all next to eachother and they all grow at the same rate and all have the same vibrancy. I run very high par. They probs are hgetting round 250-300 at the bottom of my tank
Interesting!
If I may, what are you parameters & are you dosing?
Are you running a ULNS & if so, are do dosing aminos of any type?

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so I feed over 5 times a day to keep my nitrates at 5 and I try to keep my phosphates above 0 but below .25ppm. I run alk around 9s and I dkh around 400-450. Magnesium is always exactly 1500. I do dose acropower. Rn i am having an unexplained issue with my green monti but the color still looks awesome I will get a pic of all three if I can fit them in one pic. I also use a lot of flow.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have green and found green does better in lower lights and flow as I have it placed at mid tank, whereas reds are higher at light and flow.

Az reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both green and red caps. There is a learning curve with the greens. Depending on the tank they come from, they can be already acclimated to higher lighting and do fine. Some do great in lower lighting. I always start mine off in lower lighting and gradually increase the light till they are in the spot I want to keep them. Check your potassium and iron levels also.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Potassium a must, in fact for Most corals and always start corals in low lighting or acclamation setting to protect tissue and stone in these specimens

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back