Light ID? is this good enough for keeping montipora?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some experience keeping LPS, softies and anemonies for a few years now and I'd like to get some red montiporas, as my tank currently lacks ledges and I thought they'd look cool with a hawkfish. However, I realized that I have no idea what kind of light I have(the person that purchased it for my family is no longer in contact with me) and I do not know what spectrum it emits. It's ancient and dusty, and I have no clue for how long it will continue to work, but I just need something that has the right spectrum to grow most common SPS and LPS. I have also decided to bring my caulerpa lamp to the top just as backup(no longer grows caulerpa... they get matted with filamentous within days), although I'm not sure how helpful it will be.

1693977566694.png

1693977734226.png

1693977743536.png

1693977754962.png

1693977800858.png

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never seen that light before, but red monti typically should not be expensive to give it a try. I had so much green and red monti that was growing too big I couldn't give it away fast enough. A lot of it ended up in the trash. If you have a local club and someone is growing red monti typically you can get frags for next to nothing to try out.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never seen that light before, but red monti typically should not be expensive to give it a try. I had so much green and red monti that was growing too big I couldn't give it away fast enough. A lot of it ended up in the trash. If you have a local club and someone is growing red monti typically you can get frags for next to nothing to try out.

I am purchasing red monti for a measly 5 bucks per frag... but I don't want it to die and release nitrates and give me another useless skeleton. Preferably it should not die under the light. The tank under its full effects look like this.

1693978675189.png

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am to be entirely honest, I see being overrun with monti a great opportunity to keep non - reef safe animals such as polyp - eating angels and orange - spotted filefish, if only at a small population.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am to be entirely honest, I see being overrun with monti a great opportunity to keep non - reef safe animals such as polyp - eating angels and orange - spotted filefish, if only at a small population.
Most angels don't eat sps polyps and orange-spotted filefish are usually strict on eating just acropora. A corallivore butterfly might work, but most of those are acro-eaters as far as I know.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is under the assumption the montis will thrive lol, which I'm not certain it will. I'm low on calcium(and of course light), although everything else seems to be fine.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 60 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back