Montipora issue

SpencerT82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this Monti cap yesterday and drove home which is 2 hours from my fish store. I did a 1 hour acclimation and dipped then put in my tank. What is happening it dose not seem to be getting worse since it’s been in the tank. It’s the next day. Did something happen during transport and what should I do?

414053DA-1A76-4E28-83C3-9076A2EC0238.jpeg 9921F557-66A7-4D8A-A87C-A50AF5ABBAA5.jpeg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably either parameters or more likely flow issue. I would probably first increase the flow around the coral if you can. Either moving it to a different place or just turning up the powerheads, but what are you using for flow? What size tank is this? What are the parameters?

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be due to a temperature swing.
SPS may react very badly even if they were exposed to lower/higher temperature for only 2 hours.

You may want to make an Iodine bath to reduce stress and prevent any further degradation.

OP
OP
SpencerT82

SpencerT82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably either parameters or more likely flow issue. I would probably first increase the flow around the coral if you can. Either moving it to a different place or just turning up the powerheads, but what are you using for flow? What size tank is this? What are the parameters?
But the issue is it occurred before it even was in my tank. And I just had it on the sand to acclimate it to my lights. Also it’s a 112g tank

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the issue is it occurred before it even was in my tank. And I just had it on the sand to acclimate it to my lights. Also it’s a 112g tank
Gotcha now, it could have just been due to the transport then, if it isnt getting worse and tank conditions are good it should be able to come back and regrow over the areas where it died back. Montiporas are pretty hardy corals
I usually use acclimation mode if it is available. Is flow still moderate to high on the sandbed? Sometimes it is sometimes not just depends on pump placement and rocks in the way of flow

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I bought this Monti cap yesterday and drove home which is 2 hours from my fish store. I did a 1 hour acclimation and dipped then put in my tank. What is happening it dose not seem to be getting worse since it’s been in the tank. It’s the next day. Did something happen during transport and what should I do?

414053DA-1A76-4E28-83C3-9076A2EC0238.jpeg 9921F557-66A7-4D8A-A87C-A50AF5ABBAA5.jpeg
How did you acclimate coral?
Did you introduce it under bright light ?
Bring it up pff the sand as it needs moderate light and moderate to medium water flow

OP
OP
SpencerT82

SpencerT82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be due to a temperature swing.
SPS may react very badly even if they were exposed to lower/higher temperature for only 2 hours.

You may want to make an Iodine bath to reduce stress and prevent any further degradation.
How do I do an iodine bath?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, thats a nice monti, its a grafted one?

Agree with above to raise it off the sand, get it into the light and flow.

OP
OP
SpencerT82

SpencerT82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you acclimate coral?
Did you introduce it under bright light ?
Bring it up pff the sand as it needs moderate light and moderate to medium water flow
I did a 1 hour drip acclimation so where the water doubled after 1 hour then a 5 min dip in coral rx pro then dunked in water from the tank to remove dip then set it on the sand bed. For now I moved it to middle / top where my other sps are with good flow and lighting .

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What par level is it in? What's your alk, nitrate and phosphate at? How did it look when you put it in your tank?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did a 1 hour drip acclimation so where the water doubled after 1 hour then a 5 min dip in coral rx pro then dunked in water from the tank to remove dip then set it on the sand bed. For now I moved it to middle / top where my other sps are with good flow and lighting .
Did you after drip confirm salinity matched that of display tank?
My guess is the dip may have stressed it but this is a coral that will bounce right back. The relocation should help but low white intensity for 24 hrs should help

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saying - flow or light does not matter much in this particular case.
Yes, eventually he'll need to put it in higher PAR, and it does need some flow, but it isn't the cause of the problem here, it's a new coral that most likely got stressed during the move or acclimation process. If anything, a coral in this situation is better off kept under lower light than to be blasted off under high PAR.

It is advised to make sure your parameters are in check, if the is a significant issue it'll obviously affect the coral.
But from looking at the picture, I stand still with my original theory about temperature, it may also be salinity.

As for the Iodine bath, you can use either Seachem's Iodine dip with the provided instructions, or 10 drips of Lugol's iodine per 1 liter (around 40 per gallon).

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just saying - flow or light does not matter much in this particular case.
Yes, eventually he'll need to put it in higher PAR, and it does need some flow, but it isn't the cause of the problem here, it's a new coral that most likely got stressed during the move or acclimation process. If anything, a coral in this situation is better off kept under lower light than to be blasted off under high PAR.

It is advised to make sure your parameters are in check, if the is a significant issue it'll obviously affect the coral.
But from looking at the picture, I stand still with my original theory about temperature, it may also be salinity.

As for the Iodine bath, you can use either Seachem's Iodine dip with the provided instructions, or 10 drips of Lugol's iodine per 1 liter (around 40 per gallon).
Flow and light does matter as it can shock the coral. The coral has been dipped in coral RX which is one of the best on the market. . . Why would he turn around and iodine dip it and stress the coral more and then shove it under bright light?
A dip will stress a coral before acclimation does.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The purple you see on the coral in the pictures is not tissue, but reflected light on a white skeleton.
Ahhh. Hard to unsee it now. Thanks for the explanation. I would say to the OP that is the tissue regression continues, you will likely have to chop it up to save what you can. Though, its a grafted montipora. These are very hardy coral and its more likely to bounce right back under the given parameter's.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My eyes must be failing me because I don't see what issue others are seeing.
There is none other than stress. Im very shocked of the advice given. To tell one to chop up a nice piece of coral, the green one below (pic) was received with partial dead tissue on bottom and 70% has been restored and still filling in.

1675114996095.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back