Montipora losing color

Jurg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that my Monti was starting to lose some color. I have battled issues with my acros in the past with RTN, but nothing like this.

I just checked my alk 8.96 and my phosphates are at .19. I know it's not less then .03, but I honestly cannot recall them ever being that low. I am working on bringing them down lower so I was just curious if there is anything else I should look for that could cause this problem.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1391651614.687966.jpg

novahobbies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Nudis, like JPS says. When I had them, they started one one Monti and I had similar fading colors like that. Before I knew it, they were on ALL my montis.

Other things to check for.....what is your pH, and has it been stable? Did you have any temperature swings?

gatoralum69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are doing your own rodi or salt mix, make sure that your filters are not older than 6 months as south Florida has boosted chloramine in our water and thus deplete filters faster. Thanks to Eric I was able to catch before more damage was done but was easily noticeable in monties that were looking color.

OP
OP
Jurg

Jurg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen any nudis and I've looked all over. My water is currently coming from VIP water and I was getting RO water from LFS and recently just picked up some from matt as he told me about the chloramines. I will be ordering my own rodi tomorrow.

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are doing your own rodi or salt mix, make sure that your filters are not older than 6 months as south Florida has boosted chloramine in our water and thus deplete filters faster. Thanks to Eric I was able to catch before more damage was done but was easily noticeable in monties that were looking color.

Choloramines did that and more to my SPS.

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, if montis are the first to look bad then I would replace the filters with chloramine ones. It's really just carbon but coconut based instead of wood. You could also use those IO bottles that remove chlorine, chloramines, po4 and stuff that FMAS gave away. People including me just tossed them or gave them to a hoarder like porko. Little did we know it's very useful!

gatoralum69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, if montis are the first to look bad then I would replace the filters with chloramine ones. It's really just carbon but coconut based instead of wood. You could also use those IO bottles that remove chlorine, chloramines, po4 and stuff that FMAS gave away. People including me just tossed them or gave them to a hoarder like porko. Little did we know it's very useful!
Yes that is the other thing I started doing now too...whenever I pull water out of RODI, whether for topoff or salt mix, I put in some Prime. Stuff does not hurt anything but can sure protect you.

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there
You could try checking your potassium levels as it helps SPS enhance their colours

Interesting Mr Tap Water. Ive read and heard a lot of talk from across the pond, and with Zeo vit users regarding K+. yet i havent come across any actual scientific data. Is there any that can be reviewed?

Im note being a jerk, on the contrary, I know for a fact that lots of what happens in Europe happens before it happens here, so hungry for info.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr tap water

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting Mr Tap Water. Ive read and heard a lot of talk from across the pond, and with Zeo vit users regarding K+. yet i havent come across any actual scientific data. Is there any that can be reviewed?

Im note being a jerk, on the contrary, I know for a fact that lots of what happens in Europe happens before it happens here, so hungry for info.

If you go on google and tapping potassium what does it do for SPS Corals you will see that there are lots of articles on how potassium helps colouration, even my app on my iPhone called ReefDoser States that helps with colouration so this is just one possibility why the guy that's asking the question is losing colour on this SPS but no doubt there could be many other reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go on google and tapping potassium what does it do for SPS Corals you will see that there are lots of articles on how potassium helps colouration, even my app on my iPhone called ReefDoser States that helps with colouration so this is just one possibility why the guy that's asking the question is losing colour on this SPS but no doubt there could be many other reasons.

Thanks for the info sir, but im not convinced. I prefer to keep things simple.

IMHO- Water changes should resolve that.

Back