Why am I losing Alk/calc??

jhaggerty1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have five coral frags that are very small and I’m losing one alkalinity every day. People keep telling me I shouldn’t be losing that much with just a few corals. I have a 25 gallon tank that is five months old and I’ve been dosing to keep it stable but I’m just curious if there’s another reason my elements would be dropping that much? I keep being told that water should keep it stable but it’s definitely losing that much because I test with Hannah checkers quite a bit

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have five coral frags that are very small and I’m losing one alkalinity every day. People keep telling me I shouldn’t be losing that much with just a few corals. I have a 25 gallon tank that is five months old and I’ve been dosing to keep it stable but I’m just curious if there’s another reason my elements would be dropping that much? I keep being told that water should keep it stable but it’s definitely losing that much because I test with Hannah checkers quite a bit
Is coraline growing?

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you mean 1dkh of alkalinity?
Is your calcium also dropping?

Others thing in your tank deplete alkalinity such as bacteria.

In general I find if Calcium and Alkalinity are being used up I can visibiliby se my coral growing week to week.

If only my Alk is dropping on a new tank it’s usually a little bacteria bloom.

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is normal to just dose the Alk part of a 2-part (alk/calcium) dosing system; especially when a tank is new.

It may be helpful to read up on alkalinity, thinking of it as an “element” that corals use kinda oversimplifies what it actually is.
Yes, your corals use alkalinity to build their skeletons but alkalinity is also your waters antacid.

There are many things that create acids in you tank such as your fish respirating, detritus build up, and bacteria.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try carbon dosing to convert nitrates which will raise base and add back alkalinity lost to nitrification which with five frags likely the only elements depleting it at the moment. Randy has a great article on how this works and I know from experience that it does work. I use NoPox but one could use vodka although former much easier and for a small tank cheap enough and easy enough instructions to follow.

If you are performing a WC before those nitrates are removed via carbon dosing than you're throwing that buffer out. Perhaps first get the carbon dosing dialed in before doing any further WC as well as getting the alkalinity balanced. I'd expect based on your system there shouldn't be considerable depletion of calcium unless it's precipitating due possibly to low magnesium which I don't know if you're adding along with the calcium dosing you are performing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture of the aquarium? Corals are not the only users of alkalinity and calcium.

Is the sand hardening or pump impellers getting coated unusually fast due to abiotic precipitation?

OP
OP
J

jhaggerty1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture of the aquarium? Corals are not the only users of alkalinity and calcium.

Is the sand hardening or pump impellers getting coated unusually fast due to abiotic precipitation?
The sand is climping yeah. I forgot to take a pic last night ill get one. Ive also got a skimmer, refugium, carbon and gfo

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One often has to break the cycle since freshly precipitated surfaces act as seed crystals for more precipitation.

This is my generic recommendation for precipitation issues (e.g., hardening sand):

1. Stop all efforts to boost pH.
2. Stop dosing alk for a bit and let it decline.
3. Reduce pH by switching to a low pH alk mix like sodium bicarbonate, or a calcium organic such as Tropic Marin All for Reef.
4. Ensure magnesium is normal to high.
5. Keep organics and phosphate on the high side.

After a few days of not dosing alk, restart slowly, adding additives to a very high flow area so it mixes in fast.

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to worry that’s just your tank consuming what it needs, that’s really not a lot at all not enough to affect your tanks stability, if you’re looking to keep your tank super stable get dosing pump’s that would be your best option

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back