Montipora or Cyphastrea ... is this?

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
1,790
Location
Toronto, CANADA / BORNEO Island
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this for many years which I believe is some form of Montipora or Cyphastrea but I may be wrong on both. It has bright neon green polyps and last night I had to cut off more than half of it's spherical colony as it was slowly wasting away from STN. I took some shots of it right before the "cut" last night. Thanks for looking
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown-2.jpeg
 
IMO I believe it's an astreopora. They have polyps on mounds, or small bumps, meanwhile cyphastrea don't (As far as I've seen). Tidal Gardens has a great video on Youtube that compares the two, and explains the differences.
 
Corallites' costa is bumpy and not ridged=astreopora
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new