Montipora Palawanensis(?) ID

  • Thread starter Thread starter moretor1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

moretor1

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 1, 2024
Messages
409
Reaction score
240
Location
Lexington
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grabbed this guy for $30 today at the lfs. Not super knowledgeable on sps so I thought this was a Monti cap

It is definitely a ferocious eater, or it was starving at the lfs

On the bright side I'm seeing more polyp extension in my tank than I did the lfs

20240524_182016(1).jpg 20240524_162554.jpg 20240524_182122(1).jpg
 
Is polyp growth tied to the size of the entire colony or will the oldest ones always be the largest?
I believe the polyp size on these guys will be fairly uniform regardless of colony size/age. I imagine newly budded polys will be smaller until they catch up to the others in the colony, but aside from that I would expect them to remain relatively the same size and relatively small. I am by no means a coral biologist so keep that in mind. . .

That said you may see varying degrees of polyp extension depending on the "happiness" of the coral, or under specific lighting and flow.

In case you are comparing it to pictures online, keep in mind their are different species of tubinaria with larger polyps.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new