Monti's and other SPS darkening

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been fighting this on-again, off-again problem for the last ~6 months.

My Monti's are the first to show it and then the other corals in my tank follow:

The color/tissue will start turning black over the course of weeks. I don't have any filters for my phone camera, so I apologize for the quality here:

This Red Monti, when doing well, is pure red throughout the coral (how it looks on the tips in this pic is how it looks throughout the entire coral, not just on the tips).

Here it almost looks like shading, but it's just darkened significantly in the core of the coral.

IMG_4322.jpg

Here's another coral, which is usually a bright orange with some bright green polyps. The tissue is almost black/dark brown and the green polyps still show throughout. A little bit of bright orange still exists on the outside.

IMG_4323.jpg

Parameters have generally stayed around:
8.2 Alk
450 Calc
1400 Mag
79-79.5 F
34-35 Salinity
Nitrate 5-10
Phos: 0.04-.10 (when it hits 1.0, I hit it with some phos RX to get it back down)

The monti's have fluctuated where they'll darken like this and then bounce back slowly and then fade off again. I've tried various things (water changes, feeding more/less, carbon changeouts etc), but haven't been able to identify the cause/solution.

Other SPS corals not pictured have generally turned and stayed greener than they used to be for the better part of the last ~6 months. My best colony SPS the tips 'died ~3 months ago and now has some kind of algae growing on just the tips, though the rest of the colony looks totally normal.

I've never experienced this specific problem in my ~9 years, but this year it has been a problem that I can't seem to properly diagnose and treat. Any help would be super appreciated!

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell from the images, as things look both brighter and darker than they may appear to you. I don't know what your SPS normally likes for phosphate levels, but mine seem to best in the 0.1-0.2ppm range. I also try to keep my salinity in the 35.5ppt range and temperature around 77.5°F (but again, just what my SPS seems to like). I assume you're checked your lighting PAR?

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys....

Currently running some XR15 Blue's. I hadn't measured par in a while, so just re-measured: Red Monti is at 202 and The 'Orange' Monti is at 195. Other SPS's in tank are higher and closer to ~250 par on average

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our montis are the first to show signs when our iodine gets low. Never had iodine issues in the past till this new tank. Not exactly sure why or what's changed over the years but might be worth looking into?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if related but browning typically means excess nutrients like amino overdosing or light issue with low par.

Have you done a recent ICP test to look at everything?

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our montis are the first to show signs when our iodine gets low. Never had iodine issues in the past till this new tank. Not exactly sure why or what's changed over the years but might be worth looking into?
I did do one this summer and it was at 16ug/L.... hmmm that is low. I saw it was yellow but disregarded it.

I'll look into that - thanks!

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if related but browning typically means excess nutrients like amino overdosing or light issue with low par.

Have you done a recent ICP test to look at everything?
Yeah, the only 2 yellows were 16 Iodine (low), and 322 Lithium (high). I admittedly had just figured these were still in a tolerable range, but maybe these are the issue?

I do dose a bunch of Reef Nutrition products. Maybe I need to cut those off and see what happens?

Par is right at 200 for both of the corals pictured, and ~250 for the other SPS corals mentioned. LPS all seem to be doing solid.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the only 2 yellows were 16 Iodine (low), and 322 Lithium (high). I admittedly had just figured these were still in a tolerable range, but maybe these are the issue?

I do dose a bunch of Reef Nutrition products. Maybe I need to cut those off and see what happens?

Par is right at 200 for both of the corals pictured, and ~250 for the other SPS corals mentioned. LPS all seem to be doing solid.
I have some similar issues. Your par is low for SPS but still manageable. However, if there is an overdose of nutrients like aminos and not enough par then some browning starts. I have some too and have basically stopped dosing aminos because if you have sufficient nutrients in your tank that is all you need courtesy of fish poop. I've seen better color now that I don't add aminos anymore. Perhaps an extra hour of light might help with lower end par.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphate is crazy high ,start with this and stop all coral food ,stop also useless adding of trace elements until it reverse and make a full water change

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did do one this summer and it was at 16ug/L.... hmmm that is low. I saw it was yellow but disregarded it.

I'll look into that - thanks!
If it turns out to be the case, what I did for my situation was slowly start dosing 1 drop of the lugols per 25 gallon once weekly. After about three weeks they started looking better. I'm still confused about my situation but am now leaning towards some salt manufactures cutting corners. I do daily 1-2 gallon changes to try to keep everything as balanced as possible so I know its not me. What better supplements to cut corners on then the hardest ones to test for? Or maybe my vivid confetti colony is just drinking it? lol

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the correct phosphate number…if so I agree with the above, that is crazy high

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphate is crazy high ,start with this and stop all coral food ,stop also useless adding of trace elements until it reverse and make a full water change
Oops, I mistyped in OP - It's actually .04 - .1ppm (just edited it - thank you!). Today I tested it at .07

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it turns out to be the case, what I did for my situation was slowly start dosing 1 drop of the lugols per 25 gallon once weekly. After about three weeks they started looking better. I'm still confused about my situation but am now leaning towards some salt manufactures cutting corners. I do daily 1-2 gallon changes to try to keep everything as balanced as possible so I know its not me. What better supplements to cut corners on then the hardest ones to test for? Or maybe my vivid confetti colony is just drinking it? lol
Huh - well I'll definitely order it and try dosing it. I use Instant Ocean, and honestly have not been doing as many water changes over the last 6 months because my parameters were always in check. If their salt doesn't add much iodine and I haven't done many water changes, that could be it.

I feel like I read somewhere that salt mix is often the cause of high lithium too (may have been a Randy post?)

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some similar issues. Your par is low for SPS but still manageable. However, if there is an overdose of nutrients like aminos and not enough par then some browning starts. I have some too and have basically stopped dosing aminos because if you have sufficient nutrients in your tank that is all you need courtesy of fish poop. I've seen better color now that I don't add aminos anymore. Perhaps an extra hour of light might help with lower end par.

I'll add an hour to the photoperiod for sure and also cut back my Reef Nutrition ~50%. See how it goes in a couple weeks and then re-evaluate. Thank you!

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe stop with the coral food but don't let your nitrates bottom out. I just dosed with a bit of trace elements and Iodide and what a difference. my digitata improved overnight along with my stylocoenella colonies

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add an hour to the photoperiod for sure and also cut back my Reef Nutrition ~50%. See how it goes in a couple weeks and then re-evaluate. Thank you!
I completely cut out the red sea AB. Benepets,etc... I have good levels of phosphate and nitrates and as an experienced reefer told me here, you don't need aminos when you already have sufficient nutrients in the tanks for corals.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back