Montis bleaching in less than a week. what is going on?

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At my wits end here. Everything was going peachy up until about a week ago.

Changes in system in the last week:
Added a pair of dwarf angels.
Started up skimmer again (didn't run for the bulk of the summer, but started up again due to multi feedings in a day for the angels).
Removed old GFO and ROX carbon (had been a few months since change out).
Took GFO reactor off line.
Replaced ROX carbon in reactor.

System and params as of this morning (and pretty consistent):
300 gallon mixed reef up since Feb 2017.
I change filter socks weekly.

Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 76-77F
pH: 7.92-8.1
No3: 2.5 ppm
PO4: 0 (on SeaChem)
Ca: 425
Alk: 10.92 (seems to be slowly going up, but I wasn't seeing any issues)
Mg: 1410

The new centroypge that are in there are showing their colors and picking at some corals (pavona, Aussie maze brain (devastating this coral) and what I think is a monti cap) but the monti setosa, JF blue summit monti, cast away monti and green eggs and ham monti that were growing great are all bleaching out. I can see the polyps under actincs, but under full spec, they look dead.

I removed the reactor with the ROX a couple of days ago thinking it was the new carbon which did it, but things are only getting worse for those corals.

Thoughts on what's going on? I don't like to chase numbers so leave things alone and just monitor, but the current change is really driving me nuts. My husband is really bummed with the montis bleaching and disappointed that the angels are finding a liking for some of his favorite corals; but we knew and were expecting to take a chance with them.

Last edited:

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 of 0 is bad and a PO4 of 0 with that high of a dkh is bad. They are hungry! Raise PO4 and NO3 just a little by extra feeding or adding more fish and drop your dkh between 8 and 9 slowly. Consider some judicious use of aminos. Will take some time but they will come around.

OP
OP
InkedReefLady

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 of 0 is bad and a PO4 of 0 with that high of a dkh is bad. They are hungry! Raise PO4 and NO3 just a little by extra feeding or adding more fish and drop your dkh between 8 and 9 slowly. Consider some judicious use of aminos. Will take some time but they will come around.

Hmmm. You've got me wondering if turning the skimmer back on is what did all of this (other than higher Alk).

What kind of aminos are you thinking should be added? No way to test for them, right?

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. You've got me wondering if turning the skimmer back on is what did all of this (other than higher Alk).

What kind of aminos are you thinking should be added? No way to test for them, right?
I personally believe any of them will work. I have used KZ and am currently using Brightwell with good results. I would caution to be careful and not over do it or you can fuel an algae outbreak. More is NOT better. I think Brightwell recommends to start at half rate and slowly increase. As far as testing for aminos there are none that I know of. Just keep a close eye on your tank for any undesirable changes and if you see any, back off the rate you are dosing. Remember to be patient. It could be two or more weeks to see any changes.

I would keep the skimmer going except for 20 to 30 minutes after adding aminos.

OP
OP
InkedReefLady

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally believe any of them will work. I have used KZ and am currently using Brightwell with good results. I would caution to be careful and not over do it or you can fuel an algae outbreak. More is NOT better. I think Brightwell recommends to start at half rate and slowly increase. As far as testing for aminos there are none that I know of. Just keep a close eye on your tank for any undesirable changes and if you see any, back off the rate you are dosing. Remember to be patient. It could be two or more weeks to see any changes.

I would keep the skimmer going except for 20 to 30 minutes after adding aminos.

Thanks! I'll check those out. Now just to figure out the high alk..

I'm not adding anything to purposefully increase them. They're just increasing on their own. Only thing I can think of is top off water..?

Ly78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk rising possibly due to your corals not consuming much as they used to since they are bleaching not growing. You run carx or dosing? Maybe need to tune down a bit.

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'll check those out. Now just to figure out the high alk..

I'm not adding anything to purposefully increase them. They're just increasing on their own. Only thing I can think of is top off water..?
If your dkh continues to rise it's because your corals are not happy and therefore are not growing at their previous pace. If they are turning white they are most definitely not growing anymore and consuming alkalinity and calcium.

OP
OP
InkedReefLady

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your dkh continues to rise it's because your corals are not happy and therefore are not growing at their previous pace. If they are turning white they are most definitely not growing anymore and consuming alkalinity and calcium.

Hmm. I'm thinking a small-ish water change may be in order to help bring it down? All other corals are doing well (gorgonian, soft, encrusting montis, lepto, frogspawn, hammer).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back