Monti digi help.

jsul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my monti digi has started to look like the pic below over the last two weeks since I placed it on the rock. Prior to it was doing well in the same spot on the frag with polyps out. Am I getting to much or to little light? Or is it flow? Other sps polyp out, Goni full extension.

Tank info/param
IM 20g peninsula
XR15 pro reef dude schedule but only run whites at 25 green/red 15. 53% intensity with rms standard mounting height
Mp10 with pulse setting.

5 gallon water change weekly

I test every week and levels are the roughly this
Alk-9.4
Ph-8.3
Po4-0.12-0.18
No3- 6.8-8.1
Cal-430
Mg-1420-1440

Fish
2 clown
1 tail spot blenny
Standard clean up crew

IMG_6268.jpeg IMG_6265.jpeg IMG_6266.jpeg IMG_6262.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
my monti digi has started to look like the pic below over the last two weeks since I placed it on the rock. Prior to it was doing well in the same spot on the frag with polyps out. Am I getting to much or to little light? Or is it flow? Other sps polyp out, Goni full extension.

Tank info/param
IM 20g peninsula
XR15 pro reef dude schedule but only run whites at 25 green/red 15. 53% intensity with rms standard mounting height
Mp10 with pulse setting.

5 gallon water change weekly

I test every week and levels are the roughly this
Alk-9.4
Ph-8.3
Po4-0.12-0.18
No3- 6.8-8.1
Cal-430
Mg-1420-1440

Fish
2 clown
1 tail spot blenny
Standard clean up crew

IMG_6268.jpeg IMG_6265.jpeg IMG_6266.jpeg IMG_6262.jpeg
Phos a bit high and nitrate a little low. This type of coral best is a well established and stable tank. Also with your IM tank. lighting is often insufficient- what light are you using?

OP
OP
J

jsul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phos a bit high and nitrate a little low. This type of coral best is a well established and stable tank. Also with your IM tank. lighting is often insufficient- what light are you using?
G6 XR 15 pro reefdude schedule but I lower the whites. It’s at 55% intensity

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
G6 XR 15 pro reefdude schedule but I lower the whites. It’s at 55% intensity
Blue should be higher than whites and lower whites to 45% and see how coral responds, If it responds.
This is mine under Orpheks

1709222996271.png

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your par. I have XR15 lights and they are weak. I run mine at 100% intensity on AB plus schedule just to get minimal par for SPS.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't be able to give a monti too much light with a xr15. The spectrum might not be good, but that unit does not have enough power to give too much output. Most montipora do not need this much, but they can grow out of your tank at 1200 PAR.

Not all branching montis are easy. Some, like the ORA German Blue, are more demanding that the typical orange, green, purple and some others "easy" types like poci, stylo and birdsnests.

Tank looks pretty new - don't see any coralline on the glass or frag rack or anything. While some brag about awesome corals in new tanks, many have troubles without any definitive answer and just have to wait for the ecosystem to develop more. This might not be anything that you are doing, so don't get too upset if the tank is newer.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You won't be able to give a monti too much light with a xr15. The spectrum might not be good, but that unit does not have enough power to give too much output. Most montipora do not need this much, but they can grow out of your tank at 1200 PAR.

Not all branching montis are easy. Some, like the ORA German Blue, are more demanding that the typical orange, green, purple and some others "easy" types like poci, stylo and birdsnests.

Tank looks pretty new - don't see any coralline on the glass or frag rack or anything. While some brag about awesome corals in new tanks, many have troubles without any definitive answer and just have to wait for the ecosystem to develop more. This might not be anything that you are doing, so don't get too upset if the tank is newer.
Agree - Not a PAR issue

OP
OP
J

jsul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ya I scrap the coraline that builds on black part where it grows and on the return nozzle. The frag rack I just put in is new. I feel it’s more a wait and let the system grow more.

OP
OP
J

jsul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is that power head in relation to that bald spot?
Is it pointing at the frag, blasting it?

I agree to up the lights.
The digi is in middle of tank at the highest point of the rock work. The mp10 is on the wide away from return with pulse at 2 sec 40% and the other side gets hit from random flow from return nozzle there are white spots on both sides

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Actually it is a par issue. He is only running his light at 53% intensity. He probably only has 100 par at that intensity
Without a PAR reading, undetermined and one side bald and rest ok does not convince me on PAR at 5" below light however Flow may be in place as would be low levels of minor traces/ alk, salinity and temperature changes as well as low dissolved oxygen. To insist on PAR without a PAR reading is an assumption. There is tissue loss and as Dburr also mentioned, flow based on one side is a suspect

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The digi is in middle of tank at the highest point of the rock work. The mp10 is on the wide away from return with pulse at 2 sec 40%
As long as it's not blasting the flesh off.

Couldn't tell. But if it's not the powerhead then most likely shading/not enough light.

No3/po4 numbers are fine with your alk dkh. Other parameters good to.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was leaning that way but the digi is only 5 in from surface
As mentioned above. You can't give them to much light. My XR15s were running at 70% and I was shocked how low the par was when I finally got a par meter.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a PAR reading, undetermined and one side bald and rest ok does not convince me on PAR at 5" below light however Flow may be in place as would be low levels of minor traces/ alk, salinity and temperature changes as well as low dissolved oxygen. To insist on PAR without a PAR reading is an assumption. There is tissue loss and as Dburr also mentioned, flow based on one side is a suspect
Not an assumption, I have the same lights, same coral, same results when my intensity was to low so I have direct experience as the OP over and above you for this problem but you do have extensive reefing experience and knowledge too.

You can see my digi corals at the water surface under 100% intensity with XR15 getting blasted by MP40s

20240229_094121.jpg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not an assumption, I have the same lights, same coral, same results when my intensity was to low so I have direct experience as the OP over and above you for this problem but you do have extensive reefing experience and knowledge too.

You can see my digi corals at the water surface under 100% intensity with XR15 getting blasted by MP40s

20240229_094121.jpg
And a different tank and age and to Conclude without a PAR reading is Yes an assumption and is misleading as for example if its an alk issue and you have concluded its a light issue is placing a reefer at risk of losing other coral

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please stop bickering. Thank you.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey OP try the free Photone app with your phone and see what par is at the water surface. I compared it to a par meter reading and it's not to bad for a phone app. Gives you a decent ballpark reading to work with.

OP
OP
J

jsul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey OP try the free Photone app with your phone and see what par is at the water surface. I compared it to a par meter reading and it's not to bad for a phone app. Gives you a decent ballpark reading to work with.
I just downloaded and will try once I’m home

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back