HELP! Monti fading quickly and splotchy after shipping

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,
I currently have a Reverse Superman Monti that was in a shipment to me that got delayed by 2 days, and now around 2 weeks later, its faded to a very dull pink and there are little to no blues in the polyps. The tank has been set up for nearly a year, and all other sps are doing well (Pocci's, Birdsnest and another encrusting monti) The rest of the shipment was fine as well (Torches, Acans, Zoas and Gonnies). I have noticed an electrical Pulse in the water, but I have ordered a titanium grounding rod and new heaters to take care of the problem. Could this be the cause of the colour loss and bleaching? I have moved the Monti up a bit up in the rockscape, and it was doing well with great polyp extension. Water Parameters are:
Alk: 8.1 Dkh
Cal: 430 ppm
Mag: 1460 ppm
Nitrate: 1ppm
Phosphate: 0.07
Temp: 25 degrees Celsius
Salinity: 35 ppt

The Monti isn't as white as it is in the pictures, its more of a dull red-pink
Lights are x2 Radion Xr15 pros running on the Fluorescence Schedule at 50%, acclimating its way up to 75%. Photos are down below:

Bleached Reverse Superman Monti 12.png Bleached Reverse Superman Monti.png Reverse Supermn Monti.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Introduce under low light and acclimate well. Provide moderate light and water flow

OP
OP
F

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you guys, I've moved him to the bottom third of the tank, and provided him with ideal flow. Would more frequent feeding help as well? I currently feed 2 -3 times a week. I know some people feed every day. Would this help?

OP
OP
F

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: It's been around 2 weeks with the little guy on the bottom, and he's colour have improved so much! No way near as vibrant as when I first got him, but a huge improvement! I have moved the little guy up about 2 1/2" - 3" onto a base rock and will continue to do so around every 2-3 weeks until he reaches his spot once again (about 18 inches from the bottom)
Thanks guys, really happy you helped me save this frag
Introduce under low light and acclimate well. Provide moderate light and water flow
+1 @vetteguy53081
start him out low, < 100 par until he gets some color back. It might take a few weeks.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back