Moon Snail (Naticidae)

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Experts, I got a cute pearly moon snail (naticidae) for my tank assuming that it will be reef safe..
090806tmd8343m3.jpg

Wanted to know if it is indeed reef safe. Also would like to know its dietary requirements. Thanks.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand they prefer significantly colder tank water temperatures, so you may have trouble keeping them long-term. They are also predatory, so anything with a hard shell may be fair game.
Second! There are tropical species, but all the moon snails I know of thrive in frigid waters, such as those off the coast of California. In terms of being predatory, Moon snails love to dine on bivalves (ex. clams) and other gastropods (snails) by drilling into their shells.

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be careful with that one, it will eat all your snails and anything with a shell. Reef safe might be a stretch. If it's an Atlantic Moon Snail, I know they can survive warmer water environments, but we'd need some more information. How on earth did you get one?

Edit: Kept an Atlantic moon snail when I worked on the Carolina coastline. They need a pretty consistent diet of bivalves or snails; they are also cannibals, so I hope you only got the one.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand they prefer significantly colder tank water temperatures, so you may have trouble keeping them long-term. They are also predatory, so anything with a hard shell may be fair game.
Opss... Do you think it will go after my LPS and softies?

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second! There are tropical species, but all the moon snails I know of thrive in frigid waters, such as those off the coast of California. In terms of being predatory, Moon snails love to dine on bivalves (ex. clams) and other gastropods (snails) by drilling into their shells.
Not very sure where mine came from, the LFS I got it from told me it is reef safe... ☹

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be careful with that one, it will eat all your snails and anything with a shell. Reef safe might be a stretch. If it's an Atlantic Moon Snail, I know they can survive warmer water environments, but we'd need some more information. How on earth did you get one?

Edit: Kept an Atlantic moon snail when I worked on the Carolina coastline. They need a pretty consistent diet of bivalves or snails; they are also cannibals, so I hope you only got the one.
I live in Singapore and i got from a LFS here (did not check where it came from). No... i have a whole range of other snails and an abalone as my CUC. I am unable to locate it now... as soon as I see it, will dump it into my sump (to start with).

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Singapore and i got from a LFS here (did not check where it came from). No... i have a whole range of other snails and an abalone as my CUC. I am unable to locate it now... as soon as I see it, will dump it into my sump (to start with).
If you've got an abalone I would definitely pull it ASAP. Moon snails like to bury themselves in the sand, so it's probably buried somewhere at the moment. They might be nocturnal, so check your tank at night for better luck.

Singapore eh? I've always wanted to visit! I bet you get some cool stuff in your local fishstores that we don't ever see here in the States. Got a full tank shot to show off, by chance?

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've got an abalone I would definitely pull it ASAP. Moon snails like to bury themselves in the sand, so it's probably buried somewhere at the moment. They might be nocturnal, so check your tank at night for better luck.

Singapore eh? I've always wanted to visit! I bet you get some cool stuff in your local fishstores that we don't ever see here in the States. Got a full tank shot to show off, by chance?
Ha ha... we always envy what you can get your hands on over there. Mine is just a few moths old.. not much to show right now. Will do that.. hopefully soon. Thanks for the suggestions.

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Experts, I got a cute pearly moon snail (naticidae) for my tank assuming that it will be reef safe..
090806tmd8343m3.jpg

Wanted to know if it is indeed reef safe. Also would like to know its dietary requirements. Thanks.
I’m curious where did you find it? I’ve been trying to get ahold of one to live in my refugium.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious where did you find it? I’ve been trying to get ahold of one to live in my refugium.
OP lives in Singapore and purchased from a LFS there. So, being hobbyists from the United States, we’re kind of out of luck…

But I still have you covered:
Gulf Specimen Marine Laboratory
You can purchase a coldwater/tropical species of Moon snail from this source (but minimum purchase cost is $70, for animals only).

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP lives in Singapore and purchased from a LFS there. So, being hobbyists from the United States, we’re kind of out of luck…

But I still have you covered:
Gulf Specimen Marine Laboratory
You can purchase a coldwater/tropical species of Moon snail from this source (but minimum purchase cost is $70, for animals only).
Thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back