Moorish Idol attacking reflection

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a Moorish Idol into my tank maybe 3 months ago now, knock on wood he's been great so far and made it through QT like a champ. In the last 2 days though I noticed he's starting to constantly attack the left side of my tank, like adamantly fighting with what I assume is his reflection. I know supposedly fish can't see their reflection but he definitely is I can't think of any other reason.

This just started happening in the last couple days though, will he get over it? Hard to watch him stressing out all day, he is still eating but will go straight back to fighting the glass when he's done. I really don't want to cover the glass.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a Moorish Idol into my tank maybe 3 months ago now, knock on wood he's been great so far and made it through QT like a champ. In the last 2 days though I noticed he's starting to constantly attack the left side of my tank, like adamantly fighting with what I assume is his reflection. I know supposedly fish can't see their reflection but he definitely is I can't think of any other reason.

This just started happening in the last couple days though, will he get over it? Hard to watch him stressing out all day, he is still eating but will go straight back to fighting the glass when he's done. I really don't want to cover the glass.
Fish can definitely see their reflection, but I don’t think they understand it’s them looking back.

People commonly use mirrors to distract tangs from attacking newcomers.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish can definitely see their reflection, but I don’t think they understand it’s them looking back.

People commonly use mirrors to distract tangs from attacking newcomers.
Not sure that's what he meant by "can't see their reflection" like, they look in the mirror like a vampire. I think he meant that they aren't supposed to see their reflection in the tank glass while the lights are on or off... I've never stuck my head in the tank to verify but I think they can see out of the tank without a reflection in the glass...

To the OP, is that side of your tank "dirty" or is the view obstructed by a close wall or something? It's possible that something close to or on the glass is causing a reflection...

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure that's what he meant by "can't see their reflection" like, they look in the mirror like a vampire. I think he meant that they aren't supposed to see their reflection in the tank glass while the lights are on or off... I've never stuck my head in the tank to verify but I think they can see out of the tank without a reflection in the glass...

To the OP, is that side of your tank "dirty" or is the view obstructed by a close wall or something? It's possible that something close to or on the glass is causing a reflection...
Assuming this is what they mean, glass shows reflections when there's a substantial difference in the amount of light on both sides (i.e. when one side is light and the other dark, the side with more light will start reflecting). If this is the case here, OP, you could in theory just light up the dark side and the reflection would go away, or you could block the light from hitting the light side and that should get rid of the reflection as well.

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not dirty at all, cleaned with a magnet yesterday was thinking the same. And yeah meant the later, arnt suppost to see their reflection.

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming this is what they mean, glass shows reflections when there's a substantial difference in the amount of light on both sides (i.e. when one side is light and the other dark, the side with more light will start reflecting). If this is the case here, OP, you could in theory just light up the dark side and the reflection would go away, or you could block the light from hitting the light side and that should get rid of the reflection as well.
Hmmm this could be it, attaching a picture i wonder if the wall facing the glass was white instead of black that would help?
IMG_0536.jpg

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not dirty at all, cleaned with a magnet yesterday was thinking the same. And yeah meant the later, arnt suppost to see their reflection.
is the room/location significantly darker on that side of the tank? Because like @ISpeakForTheSeas has pointed out, that definitely causes reflection in glass. Think of an office building at night... I can never see out of the windows :-D

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm this could be it, attaching a picture i wonder if the wall facing the glass was white instead of black that would help?
IMG_0536.jpg
yes, that would probably help a great deal... you could also just put an LED strip light over there or something so that the disparity isn't as much.

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, that would probably help a great deal... you could also just put an LED strip light over there or something so that the disparity isn't as much.
Ooo the light strip is a great idea, would also look great I think

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0536.jpg
White reflects light way better than black does, so this should help. Whether or not it would be enough, I'm not sure, but it's a great place to start. The LED is a great idea too.

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the room/location significantly darker on that side of the tank? Because like @ISpeakForTheSeas has pointed out, that definitely causes reflection in glass. Think of an office building at night... I can never see out of the windows :-D
I really dont think so? And if I turn other lights on seems to have no effect.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White reflects light way better than black does, so this should help. Whether or not it would be enough, I'm not sure, but it's a great place to start. The LED is a great idea too.
white is easy to test real quick, will tape some paper to it and let you know

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WORKED first time in a days ive seen him swim around like normal again, thank you guys! @ISpeakForTheSeas @JNalley

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back