moorish idol has lost its top streamer

guysmiley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so i bought an idol , ( lol yes i know) iv had him for a week now but on the first night my purple tang gave him a hard time and it looks like the idols lost its streamer,( i think the idol has run into the gyre pump ) there are i think 3 tiny spines exposed all of which are about 1 cm exposed. i put a mirror up and my purple tang went mental at himself for a day and a half it seemed to stress the whole tank out with the purple going nuts so i removed the mirror and added a large plate coral rock to change the dynamics of the tank everything seems to have calmed down a lot which is good. My idol ate on the first day within an hour of him turning up! pellets nori and flakes since then iv fed him fresh muscle on the shell held by nori clip, he has also eaten my home made frozen food =) so eating is not the problem which is great! i am however wondering about his fin i have searched and searched online to find info on it but haven't really found anything other than yes the streamer will grow back.. if anyone has had this happen to their idol can you please let me know its going to be alright! i know fish grow back fins etc but im not sure about the spine and if or how it will mend itself? it dosnt seem bothered by it but it stresses me out a lot !! the clip was before it lost its streamer ...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It should grow back. I assume it lost its streamer due to aggression?

lebreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what idols do. It could be either/or the pumps and aggression. In my case the culprit was an MP60 and losing streamers stopped happening once the MP 60 was removed. The streamer grows back quite rapidly too.

IMG_2087_zps95c3b0e4.JPG

OP
OP
guysmiley

guysmiley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless its a “major” fin ray/support bone, in IME fins almost always grow back in healthy fish... I’d bet it grows back but perhaps a lil shorter but I’d be surprised if it didnt
thanks !

OP
OP
guysmiley

guysmiley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should grow back. I assume it lost its streamer due to aggression?
yes definatly due to aggression its just the fact there is actual spines showing im concerned , hes still eating well so i guess time will tell

MrsD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so i bought an idol , ( lol yes i know) iv had him for a week now but on the first night my purple tang gave him a hard time and it looks like the idols lost its streamer,( i think the idol has run into the gyre pump ) there are i think 3 tiny spines exposed all of which are about 1 cm exposed. i put a mirror up and my purple tang went mental at himself for a day and a half it seemed to stress the whole tank out with the purple going nuts so i removed the mirror and added a large plate coral rock to change the dynamics of the tank everything seems to have calmed down a lot which is good. My idol ate on the first day within an hour of him turning up! pellets nori and flakes since then iv fed him fresh muscle on the shell held by nori clip, he has also eaten my home made frozen food =) so eating is not the problem which is great! i am however wondering about his fin i have searched and searched online to find info on it but haven't really found anything other than yes the streamer will grow back.. if anyone has had this happen to their idol can you please let me know its going to be alright! i know fish grow back fins etc but im not sure about the spine and if or how it will mend itself? it dosnt seem bothered by it but it stresses me out a lot !! the clip was before it lost its streamer ...
Yes the streamer will grow back I have had mine for a month and he didn’t have on he dose now beautiful being

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back