Moorish idol with ich

RPGLaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All.
I noticed these little white spots on my moorish idol today. All of my fish are Ich free and have been qt for a month except for him because I didn’t want to put him though the stress of qt because he is such a delicate fish. Pls help

A177A804-F870-43FE-84AD-CC0AE5E15FD3.jpeg B6DFD49C-19CF-43CD-9E27-8C6731C85E09.jpeg BE0AE0DD-BBBB-4D28-BF3D-5E1461B9B767.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All.
I noticed these little white spots on my moorish idol today. All of my fish are Ich free and have been qt for a month except for him because I didn’t want to put him though the stress of qt because he is such a delicate fish. Pls help

A177A804-F870-43FE-84AD-CC0AE5E15FD3.jpeg B6DFD49C-19CF-43CD-9E27-8C6731C85E09.jpeg BE0AE0DD-BBBB-4D28-BF3D-5E1461B9B767.jpeg
Well, now you have ich in your main tank. Don't freak; I had similar thing and got into same boat. Healthy fish can come thru this. Keep fish well fed.

NOTE: if I do anything to stress fish, ich has shown back up on most of my fish because I let it get into my main tank trying to save a copperband butterfly (#1). I try to more frequently vacuum sand to reduce ichs cycling thru whenever its spotty self shows up, but fish all came/come thru fine. It is annoying but I'm more willing to live with ich than go three month fallow cycle with all my fish rehomed in other tank(s) - which I don't have. My QT is 5 gallons - 1 fish at a time.

CBB #2 caught ich from my tank a few days after introduction, and everyone was super stressed about its introduction in acclimation box so they all got sick same time too, but I finally got CBB to eat, it got healthy, and it's doing great these days! I already had everyone else go thru it, so I knew they'd be fine.

OP
OP
R

RPGLaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, now you have ich in your main tank. Don't freak; I had similar thing and got into same boat. Healthy fish can come thru this. Keep fish well fed.

NOTE: if I do anything to stress fish, ich has shown back up on most of my fish because I let it get into my main tank trying to save a copperband butterfly (#1). I try to more frequently vacuum sand to reduce ichs cycling thru whenever its spotty self shows up, but fish all came/come thru fine. It is annoying but I'm more willing to live with ich than go three month fallow cycle with all my fish rehomed in other tank(s) - which I don't have. My QT is 5 gallons - 1 fish at a time.

CBB #2 caught ich from my tank a few days after introduction, and everyone was super stressed about its introduction in acclimation box so they all got sick same time too, but I finally got CBB to eat, it got healthy, and it's doing great these days! I already had everyone else go thru it, so I knew they'd be fine.
I’m putting metroplex on my nori and frozen food that’s what he loves to eat the most so hopefully it helps

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Im not seeing ich but what looks like Lymphocystis which they are very receptive to and its viral often due to water quality or inadequate diet.
If you can- Take pics closer to the fish.
How is the fishs' breathing and appetite?
Is the swimming behavior normal?

Recommended:

-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

OP
OP
R

RPGLaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not seeing ich but what looks like Lymphocystis which they are very receptive to and its viral often due to water quality or inadequate diet.
If you can- Take pics closer to the fish.
How is the fishs' breathing and appetite?
Is the swimming behavior normal?

Recommended:

-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health
All my other fish are fine water parameters are
Ammonia 0
No2 0
NO3 2.5 ppm
DKH 10.9
Cal 456
PH 8.4
And I feed nori and misys shrimp
I also just added him to the tank 4 days ago he’s eating fine and swimming great no heavy breathing either

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
All my other fish are fine water parameters are
Ammonia 0
No2 0
NO3 2.5 ppm
DKH 10.9
Cal 456
PH 8.4
And I feed nori and misys shrimp
I also just added him to the tank 4 days ago he’s eating fine and swimming great no heavy breathing either
May be Lympho

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m putting metroplex on my nori and frozen food that’s what he loves to eat the most so hopefully it helps
I can't see ich in the photo, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Ich on newly acquired Moorish idols is pretty common. They do pretty well dosed with Coppersafe, but as you alluded to, the issue is they do not do well in tiny quarantine tanks. Also, if it is ich, it is now in your main display. Do you have invertebrates in that tank? If not, you could treat with hyposalinity.

Metroplex as a topical food addition won't work - it will just rinse off. Additionally, the proper dose for Metronidazole is 5000 ppm, and the joke is, it is so bitter that if you do manage to reach a proper dose, the fish won't eat it.

For mysid shrimp, the dose would be:
1/2 tsp focus
2 grams of mysids
0.012 grams of metronidazole, or about 0.016 grams of Metroplex

Of course, the issue here is weighing out such small amounts, you would need to scale up the batch of food to make the amount used greater, but you would still need a very accurate gram scale.

You can try these from Seachem directions, but I think the dose is still too low:
1 scoop MetroPlex
1 scoop Focus™
1 tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen food)
A few drops of water if using a dry food

Jay

OP
OP
R

RPGLaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see ich in the photo, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Ich on newly acquired Moorish idols is pretty common. They do pretty well dosed with Coppersafe, but as you alluded to, the issue is they do not do well in tiny quarantine tanks. Also, if it is ich, it is now in your main display. Do you have invertebrates in that tank? If not, you could treat with hyposalinity.

Metroplex as a topical food addition won't work - it will just rinse off. Additionally, the proper dose for Metronidazole is 5000 ppm, and the joke is, it is so bitter that if you do manage to reach a proper dose, the fish won't eat it.

For mysid shrimp, the dose would be:
1/2 tsp focus
2 grams of mysids
0.012 grams of metronidazole, or about 0.016 grams of Metroplex

Of course, the issue here is weighing out such small amounts, you would need to scale up the batch of food to make the amount used greater, but you would still need a very accurate gram scale.

You can try these from Seachem directions, but I think the dose is still too low:
1 scoop MetroPlex
1 scoop Focus™
1 tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen food)
A few drops of water if using a dry food

Jay
I have corals I just got a 20 long tank. But the spots are complete gone. They disappeared over night.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have corals I just got a 20 long tank. But the spots are complete gone. They disappeared over night.
It might have just been air bubbles. However, in the early stages, the ich trophonts are in sync and often drop off at the same time and then return in greater numbers - keep a close eye on it…
Jay

OP
OP
R

RPGLaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might have just been air bubbles. However, in the early stages, the ich trophonts are in sync and often drop off at the same time and then return in greater numbers - keep a close eye on it…
Jay
No signs of ich however he has completely stopped eating after the medicated food was dropped. All other fish are eating fine. I’ve tried everything to get him to eat and all types of food.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No signs of ich however he has completely stopped eating after the medicated food was dropped. All other fish are eating fine. I’ve tried everything to get him to eat and all types of food.
Ich doesn’t cause fish to stop feeding until very late in the infection.
You say it ate the medicated food but now isn’t eating non-treated food? I usually see the reverse. Still, what about trying the med food that it was eating?
Jay

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back