Moray/Wrasse Compatibility

denverjon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of getting a moray for my 210g mixed reef, possibly a dwarf golden. My concern is that I have 10 wrasses, and knowing how they tend to lay near the sand at night, I'm wondering if I'm risking it?

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept a golden dwarf moray with several wrasse species and would say that the only ones that may be in danger from the eel are very small specimens that the eel could swallow whole. The larger wrasses I have added occasionally show missing pieces of tailfin, but eventually seem to find a sleeping spot that is safe from the nocturnal-hunting eel. I currently have a mystery wrasse and a solaris wrasse in a 120g reef with the eel that get along well. I did recently have a small lubbock's fairy wrasse disappear and fear that the eel may have eaten him? I feed my eel large chunks of fish so this would not suprise me :)

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the Moray that you get,it will depend,I had 2 larger Moray eels.I had a Tesstalata,and a Green,both were about 3 foot IIRC,and they(or the tesstalata eel)ate all the fish that were in the 300 gallon tank set up.

I think that smaller more dwarf sized eels will be fine,but I would still be leary of smaller shrimp and such in the tank or slider fish that couls slide down the mouth of the eel.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 153 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 35.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back