OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your build thread is great. I have a 120 (60x18x26) that I hope to get up and running in the next few months. I noticed you've changed your flow setup a few times. I'm looking to do softies and some LPS so I want some programmable dc pumps. I saw that you were using Jebao SLW-30s (at one point?) and I was thinking of a pair of these to start because they are pretty cheap and it seems like they would be a good place to start. I plan to take my time and stock up very slowly. I'm in no rush. Any thought or suggestions?
Thanks.

I went from the Jebao Gyres I got with the tank, over to the SLW-30s. Those were good, but didn't seem to create enough flow everywhere. So then I bought the Sicce pumps to suplement. Even with the four powerheads I was starting to get some algae breakouts.

I bought the newer Jebao Gyres, and one step up, and now I'm running those along with the Sicce. The Sicce are on the back wall pointing towards the front. Mainly using them to try and keep detritus from building up in the rocks.

I think part of my problem is the 'scape limiting flow. It's great for caves and lots of coral placement, but it is taking me longer to fine tune the powerhead placement.

The other issue may have been overfeeding. I've since cut back to once per day. Between that and the powerhead 99% of the algae is gone.

Make sure to create a build thread so I (and others) cam see how you progress!

TheChemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking at the Jebao SCP 150s that you have. My aquascape Wii definitely allow more flow. Take is 26" high so I will b able to get a strong flow above. Planning to do a negative space aquascape (with some hiding spaces) and keeping my rock off the back of tank as best I can. Also doing sand, not bare bottom. Do you think I should go with one on each side? Or should I just use one and try to use smaller pumps to help with dead spots? Also, did you ever figure out the wifi app for these? And if not, do you have them routed through your wifi powers trip (which I also have)?

OP
OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking at the Jebao SCP 150s that you have. My aquascape Wii definitely allow more flow. Take is 26" high so I will b able to get a strong flow above. Planning to do a negative space aquascape (with some hiding spaces) and keeping my rock off the back of tank as best I can. Also doing sand, not bare bottom. Do you think I should go with one on each side? Or should I just use one and try to use smaller pumps to help with dead spots? Also, did you ever figure out the wifi app for these? And if not, do you have them routed through your wifi powers trip (which I also have)?

Sounds like you might be able to get away with one and some supplemental because of your more open scape. I'm running both of these at 50% and the SICCEs are on one of the pre-programmed modes (cycles from 0-100 back and forth).

No, I never got the WiFi app working right. I haven't tried again since the first attempts. Maybe when I have some time one weekend I'll try it out again. I should probably try and find the version # of the app so I can see if there are any updates (or if it auto-updates).

I just have them plugged into a 4ft. power strip that's mounted on the back of the stand. It has 12 outlets (I think) across the 4ft width. They only get unplugged once every two weeks when I do a waterchange, or when I clean them, so not using the WiFi powerstrip (cords won't reach that far either).

TheChemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you might be able to get away with one and some supplemental because of your more open scape. I'm running both of these at 50% and the SICCEs are on one of the pre-programmed modes (cycles from 0-100 back and forth).

No, I never got the WiFi app working right. I haven't tried again since the first attempts. Maybe when I have some time one weekend I'll try it out again. I should probably try and find the version # of the app so I can see if there are any updates (or if it auto-updates).

I just have them plugged into a 4ft. power strip that's mounted on the back of the stand. It has 12 outlets (I think) across the 4ft width. They only get unplugged once every two weeks when I do a waterchange, or when I clean them, so not using the WiFi powerstrip (cords won't reach that far either).
Thanks so much for the feedback. I'll try one for now. I can always get another. I got this Kasa wifi powerstrip that has power monitoring. I thought I might try that out, given that if the power consumption changes it might indicate that I need to clean it.

Appreciate it if you let me know if you get the wifi app to work.

Do your Sicce pumps have the temp monitor? That seems pretty cool. Also, I don't have a controller now and am looking to add some redundancies. Will the Sicce Xstream give you a phone notification if the power goes out?

Thanks again.

OP
OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the feedback. I'll try one for now. I can always get another. I got this Kasa wifi powerstrip that has power monitoring. I thought I might try that out, given that if the power consumption changes it might indicate that I need to clean it.

Appreciate it if you let me know if you get the wifi app to work.

Do your Sicce pumps have the temp monitor? That seems pretty cool. Also, I don't have a controller now and am looking to add some redundancies. Will the Sicce Xstream give you a phone notification if the power goes out?

Thanks again.

I'll post here if I ever get the WiFi app working right.

Yes, the XSTREAM SDCs have the temp monitors. They will alert on the app on your phone if they go out of range. Assuming you have WiFi connection/internet of course. Otherwise you'll get a lost connection alert.

OP
OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't wanna jinx myself, but I think the Berghia Nudibranchs have done their job. I don't see any Aptasia anywhere in the tank. And there were some pretty big ones in the back.

I tried to look for the Nudis about an hour after lights out but had not luck. I did however find a Stomatella Snail! Not even sure where it came from, but cool beans.

Finally got the last Nem split a new home, so was able to take out the acclimation box.

This past Sunday I did my bi-weekly water change and then moved the newest frags off the frag rack to their "final" homes. While trying to get my new Roman Candle Galaxia off the frag plug it split into two pieces (about 1/3rd and then 2/3rds). I tried to glue them together on a piece of rubble rock. This morning I found one part missing... it had fallen onto another rock, right-side up, and seems to be very happy there. I'm going to leave it alone and hope it latches on and grows there.

My first torch was looking like there was too much flow, so I turned the Jebao Gyres down to 2-3 and moved it to the edge of a cave. It seems much happier today.
2021-05-26 011.JPG

2021-05-26 013.JPG

2021-05-26 014.JPG

2021-05-26 015.JPG

2021-05-26 016.JPG

2021-05-26 017.JPG

2021-05-26 018.JPG

2021-05-26 019.JPG

2021-05-26 020.JPG

2021-05-26 021.JPG

2021-05-26 022.JPG

2021-05-26 023.JPG

OP
OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking in the tank and noticed one of the Pandora polyps had ejected itself from the little rock island I have them on (away from the main rockwork so they don't spread everywhere). I scooped it out and was going to toss it, but then I decided just to glue it to another small piece of rock.

Funny, I was just saying to SonX the other day that it looked like some of the polyps were stretching, trying to find something else to grow onto.

It came off this rock. And was just up and to the right near the main rock:
2021-06-17 001.JPG

2021-06-17 002.JPG

2021-06-17 003.JPG

OP
OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot going on with the tank. Did a water change today with the help of my Daughter and her boyfriend.

Measured SG with my BRS Refractometer and double-checked with the Milwaukee - 1.026.

OP
OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some pics of the newest corals.

001.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

I won some chocolate covered strawberries during the live sale. They were yummy.

013.JPG

014.JPG

OP
OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New corals are all doing well; even the Goni! Surprising as they don't tend to do well in my tank.

Starting to think about where I want them in the 'scape. Maybe this weekend I'll move them to the main rocks and get the frag rack out of the DT.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's some pics of the newest corals.

001.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

I won some chocolate covered strawberries during the live sale. They were yummy.

013.JPG

014.JPG

Dang what a nice haul!!

OP
OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the corals from the last live sale are doing well on the frag rack. Guess it's time to find them their forever home.

I wish some of these grew like Pandoras... but then I guess if they did we'd consider them weeds as well. lol

OP
OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No updates to report. Still don't have the willpower to stop reading R2R and Boston Reefers. That will probably bite me in the butt at some point. lol.

OP
OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally I'd be doing a water change and maintenance today. Instead, I get to do anything but that! Yippee!

OP
OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no updates. Still no desire to PAY for another tank. I think that's a good thing.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back